2 significant issues

Paul Coddington

1. When erasing free space, Windows XP Pro SP2 no longer works properly until it is rebooted. After running Eraser across all disks (2 partitions, 20GB and 380GB, on SATA RAID 0 disks), Windows loses the ability to display certain screen elements, particularly fonts. For example, all dialogs in all applications come up 'unlabelled'. System is a P4 HyperThreaded 3GHz machine with 2GB of RAM and a ASUS AX800 video card. All patches and drivers are up to date. However, this happens on more than one machine with varying hardware.

2. Unicode is desperately needed, as Internet temporary files from non-english speaking countries cannot be erased (for most people) and people who work or play multilingually can not remove files stored in other languages.

1. When erasing free space, Windows XP Pro SP2 no longer works properly until it is rebooted. After running Eraser across all disks (2 partitions, 20GB and 380GB, on SATA RAID 0 disks), Windows loses the ability to display certain screen elements, particularly fonts.

I've found the same thing using Windows 2000, has something to do with erasing cluster tips, also found the same problem using other products which wipe slack space.

1. This is a known issue. Windows doesn't like it when programs touch its font files and requires a reboot to recover. Maybe Eraser should have an option to skip the fonts when erasing cluster tips?

2. Getting Eraser to compile with Unicode support enabled is going to require some work. I don't know what plans the people at Heidi have, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

Xp help & support, msconfig

I now cannot access either of these things. Has anyone noticed this?
It seems as soon as I ran eraser I no longer am able to access Xp Help and Support or Msconfig??
Why is this ??

Back