After trying to wipe free space, problems w/ many programs

hostfox

Ran eraser, barely was 30% complete, canceled, and now I'm having problems with quite a few programs. For starters, I tried running an installer this morning and the text was blank. Opened up Google Chrome and some web pages like NYTimes.com are missing most of their text. Firefox is showing things in very weird fonts, and I'm not sure how all of these three things could coincidentally go wrong while I was asleep. Computer had been working fine for two years, and the night I decide to try and run the eraser, all of this nonsense has happened. Has there been any other cases of this happening? I'd like to know why it happened. Was this because of the 'cluster tips' erasing that Eraser tries to do, and it inadvertently destroyed system files, perhaps? This is not normal, and it's unfortunate that any program would cause such headache, whether free or paid.

Re: After trying to wipe free space, problems w/ many progra

Eraser might be the trigger, but it cannot be the cause of your problems. Clearly there is something wrong with the way the system is reading files. Before you do anything else, check the file system.

David

It happens to me sometimes, too, and it's always after running a full 'erase unused space' wipe, usually with cluster tip cleaning enabled if I remember correctly. I just reboot and things return to normal. Though, I use version 5.8.8 on XP Pro SP2, XP Home SP3... not sure what version you're using, but I've had the same problem after running the program.

These problems are difficult to diagnose. But I remain of the view that, given what Eraser does (and the fact that reports such as yours are rare for a program that has been downloaded so many times), the real issue is systemic. The fact that similar problems occur with both Version 5 and Version 6 (which have completely different code and do not use the same runtime libraries) rather confirms me in this view.

What makes Eraser (possibly) a bit different is that some of its functions access the file system to a greater degree than other programs. That tends to suggest (though one can never be sure) that, if using Eraser triggers some aberration, the file system should be the first place to look for underlying issues.

David

This has been a known problem since the days of v5. Basically, Windows doesn't like their innards touched. For fonts, this prevents them from loading properly after Eraser runs by them (even for cluster tip erasures). A reboot should set things right, as fansdon3r reported.

I have noticed the problem of lost text and images on some webpages with Chrome having run over the machine with erase free space. This is the current and previous versions of Eraser

I am running Windows 7 with Chrome beta browser.

Firefox browser runs fine.

I have uninstalled Chrome completely thinking it was a problem with the files having been corrupted somehow.
A reinstall does not help.

A reboot of Windows solves the problem and Chrome works perfectly.

Thank you for this interesting information, which, if confirmed by other users, would suggest that Chrome is doing odd things with the file system.

David

Back