alternatives to dban

nosix

I would like to know if there are any alternatives that are equal to the erasing power of dban but are faster. I have been using dban for 2years now and on average it takes me 24hours to do a 1 pass wipe on a 100gb drive and alot of other ppl on here have reported speeds much faster then this but for me dban is just really slow so again I would like to see if there are any other alternatives out there that are as secure as dban but faster or if there anything I can do to speed dban up.

Here are some of my system specs.
Code:
Manufacturer	Acer, Inc.
Model	Kingfisher

Chipset Vendor	Intel Corporation
Chipset Model	82915PM/GM/GMS, 82910GML Host Bridge
South Bridge	82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge
SMBus	Intel Corporation 82801FB (ICH6) SMBus Controller @1100h

CPU	Intel Pentium M
Cpu Socket	Socket 479 [U1]

and here is some info about my drive.

Code:
Type	Fixed hard disk media
Vendor	Seagate
Model	ST9100823A
Interface	IDE ATA
Serial Number	********
Revision	3.01
Size	100 GBytes
Removable	No
Logical Disks	C:
Location	Primary Controller - Master drive
Controller Buffer Size on Drive	8 MBytes
Capabilities	DMA, LBA, IORDY_Disable, IORDY
PIO Mode Support	0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
DMA SW Mode Support	Not Supported
DMA MW Mode Support	0 - 1 - 2
UDMA Mode Support	0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 (ATA/66) - 5 (ATA/100)
Current UDMA mode	5 (ATA-100)
Support NCQ	No
Support IFPWRMNGTRCV	Yes
Temperature	37 ºC (99 ºF)
SMART Support	Yes

TIA,
Nosix

which version of DBAN are you using? In the past 2 years there have been two stable versions and three beta versions. The latest stable version is 1.0.7 and there's been one beta since then. I used the latest beta version on my laptop (80GB drive) as the 1.0.7 version was working at a crawl and would probably have taken 24 hours or more - it did a 1 wipe pass in about 2 hours. On the other hand the 1.0.7 version works fine on my PC (80GB) and again takes about 2 hours for a 1 pass (both using Mersenne PRNG method with verification of the pass):

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=61951

Unfortunately and as far as I know, I think most if not all alternatives to DBAN are commercial.

I have tried some commercial programs that do the same job which have worked well for me. I cannot however advertise or recommend them here as Eraser and DBAN are free. Also they are better ! :D

Actually just thinking about it Truecrypt has a total drive encryption option and a soon to be introduced WDE !

You could encrypt an entire disk using Truecrypt which would give you a similar result as a single random pass. You could run it as many times as you liked.

Also Truecrypt is free !!!!

Back