Application has generated an exception that could not be...

thefoxbox

Helping a friend reinstall Eraser. I had him remove old version; was successful. Had him install latest stable version from web site; completed successfully

But he's getting this -

I reinstalled ERASER but am now getting an error message when I try to open it:

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled

Process ID= 0x17d4 (6100), Thread ID=0x15e0 (5600)

Click OK to terminate the application

Click CANCEL to debug the application

Any thoughts?

Re: Application has generated an exception that could not be

What OS are you running Eraser on?

David

Please go to the FAQ (link below), and read the post 'Common Eraser Questions' for instructions on how to delete the Task List file. Do this, and re-start Eraser. That's the most usual fix for problems on startup.

David

DavidHB said:
Please go to the FAQ (link below), and read the post 'Common Eraser Questions' for instructions on how to delete the Task List file. Do this, and re-start Eraser. That's the most usual fix for problems on startup.

David
David - thanks for writing back. I had only read somewhere else to delete the task list from the registry (HKCU --> Software --> Eraser --> Eraser 6) but there was nothing there and I thought all was well. I will have my friend try this. Thank you.

I'm afraid that you've misdirected yourself. The item to delete is the Task List file, not a Registry Key. In your case, the file is probably in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Eraser 6\. If you find it, delete it. Then restart Eraser. If that doesn't work, please come back. But read at least the sticky FAQ anyway; they are there to help you.

David

Hi David - no, I'm quite clear on what you directed me to do. I was saying that *previously*, I had come across advice thinking that all I needed to do was clear a registry key. I'm quite sure your solution will work - I had my friend try running Eraser and he was able to on a new user account without issue, so I imagine deleting the task list file will work for his current account. Thanks again!

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but glad to be of help (if I was).

David

Back