bad sectors

A

Anonymous

Hello
I wonder what happend if disk had bad sectors?
Come any information of it?

If Boot & Nuke is wiping your whole hard drive how can Windows tell Boot & Nuke about the bad sectors?

today's hard drives don't need windows or any other OS to map bad sectors, they do it themselves.

During a recent XP SP2 Beta test Microsoft told me I might have a bad sector on my hard drive due to it "chattering" often. The Western Digital Data Diagnostic Tools have error codes after you write zeros to the drive. There are many codes but the one that apply to the subject are as follows:

000 No Errors Found Successful operation. The drive is defect free.

100 No Errors Found Successful operation. The drive is defect free.

136 Bad Sector Sector Marked Bad Error. There may be repairable media errors on a platter. The automatic repair feature can attempt a repair if possible. You may need to rescan to ensure that the repairs were effective. Replace the drive if the repair fails. Re-test Drive

137 Relocated Sector Sector Relocated. There may be repairable media errors on a platter. The automatic repair feature can attempt a repair if possible. You may need to rescan to ensure that the repairs were effective. Replace the drive if the error repeats. Re-test Drive

223 Errors Repaired Errors found, but have been repaired successfully. There were media errors that were within the repair capabilities of DLGDIAG. The drive should now be defect free. Test complete Defect Free

224 Errors not Repaired Errors found and have not been repaired. There were too many errors found on this drive to be repaired. Replace the drive. Replace Drive

225 Too Many Errors Found Error count reached a threshold value. There are too many errors detected on this drive to be repaired. Replace the drive. Replace Drive

226 Sector Relocation Error Failure to relocate a sector during drive repair. The drive has to be replaced. Replace Drive

I always get the Error Code "000" after wiping my drive between Beta tests. I hope this means I will always know when I get a bad sector with a Western Digital hard drive.

Back