Bug? My OS? Does not erase files on my desktop

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Eraser 5.7 does not erase files that are on my Destop. I testet it with eraser verify: in eraser verify, if I brose files and folders, the desktop folder appears red. If I choose a file then, after every erasing action it still remains the some contents.

I'm on Win2000 SP3, I even gave "Everyone" full access to the desktop folder, no changes.

BTW, if you rightclick in the file browser, eraser verify crashes.

I have what may be a similar problem--when I use a command line to erase files in a folder, some files (not all, just some) are totally ignored, even though they are NOT in use by any application. BCWipe is perfectly able to remove the files that Eraser ignores.

I posted a detailed thread about this, but it was removed when the forum server was moved, apparently because the admin doesn't like me (http://www.cipherserver.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=589).

the desktop folder appears red
What exactly appears red and where? Sounds absolutely weird.

some files (not all, just some) are totally ignored
That's a really helpful bug report by the way, perhaps you could include some details?

apparently because the admin doesn't like me
Oh grow up, who's stopping you from reposting the question?

Also, if you try to erase a file and it fails, you will get an error message unless you turned them off. What does it say?

Anonymous said:
some files (not all, just some) are totally ignored
That's a really helpful bug report by the way, perhaps you could include some details?

apparently because the admin doesn't like me
Oh grow up, who's stopping you from reposting the question?

I don't need your sarcasm or deriding. I DID include details. And no one is "stopping" me from reposting, it's just that I gave plenty of detail, including paths, file names, command lines, comparisons to BCWipe, and so on. I don't exactly feel like reproducing the effort it took to post it the first time.

And you can kiss my ass for your "grow up" comment. You didn't need to make it personal. What am I supposed to think, when I come back here, and my ID exists, but I can't log in with a password I knew to be correct previously, and while older posts from others are still intact, mine is gone? What am I to derive from that?

Stick it. For taking something that was offensive to no one, and making it personal, YOU need to "grow up".

Little slow better than not at all

Hey Guest, how about while you're busy wasting remarks try and address some real sensible issues here. Show us all you have more firm & vigor for support, like addressing the swap file issue one last time for W98SE? How 'bout it mate?

Its me again. Calm down people. See a screenshot of the folder contents as shown by eraser verify:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/squuq/eraser.png

Its really weird:

1. DesktopM... is my current Desktop folder. Its a user with administrative privileges.

In the picture below you see "Audio", "Domains" and "Download". These are all shortcuts. They have all the same privileges set, their owner is the group "administrators", as its the same with all files. I just don't know why some appear red, others don't. I performed a "cacls *.lnk" and saw, all shortcuts have got same privilege settings.

I really have no idea.

Anonymous said:
I don't exactly feel like reproducing the effort it took to post it the first time.
And yet you feel like wasting your time complaining? You know, the last time I checked, this was a volunteer project that provided you a product including the source code for free. This message board is probably run by the same volunteers, who spend their time helping you out. Since nobody is forcing you to use their program, the least you can do in return is to show some respect. Or perhaps the next time they won't feel like reproducing the effort it takes to answer your questions.

And you can kiss my ass for your "grow up" comment. You didn't need to make it personal.
To me, you made it personal with the remark about the admin deleting your post just because he doesn't like you. Sorry if I offended you, but the ungrateful bastards I sometimes come across really piss me off. Oh, that was nothing personal.

What am I supposed to think, when I come back here, and my ID exists, but I can't log in with a password I knew to be correct previously
How about reading the response from the admin. Your post was accidentally lost during a server upgrade. If you have problems logging in, send him an email. If you have nothing to contribute, like you earlier said, there is no need to lurk around insulting the people trying to help you.

For taking something that was offensive to no one
You know, that was offensive to anyone volunteering to provide support for any open source product.

SKYCOM said:
Hey Guest
And which Guest would that be?

Squeller said:
See a screenshot of the folder contents as shown by eraser verify
I see, although I have no idea why the folders are shown red. Unless you have changed the settings somewhere, compressed files are shown blue and encrypted files green, anyone know what the red files are?

And which guest would that be ?

Ah Yes ! A response, its you "guest". Maybe you gents could curtail the secrecy somewhat by adding a digit beyond guest, then we might be able to adequately address the proper party when coordinating discussion between verbal assaults.

And which guest would that be ?

Ah Yes ! A response, its you "guest". Maybe you gents could curtail the secrecy somewhat by adding a digit beyond guest, then we might be able to adequately address the proper party when coordinating discussion between verbal assaults.

Squeller said:
I really have no idea.
One more thing, could you try erasing one of the files without using the "verify.exe". What does the "Erasing Report" say? Was anything erased, any failures or error messages?

Re: Solution!!!

Squeller said:
Someone in http://www.mcseboard.de/showthread.php? ... post171753 had the great idea:

Preferences of a file, [general], advanced, the internal encrption of these files has been turned on and eraser then can't erase them. OMG I was searching for so long and now someone had this simple idea.

Great

Would be a fairly decent article if the alphabet wasn't scrambled. How would you like to read sjsjpsfpwep"e[r[0rktkweeyotoO vdoeoieoepwe.
Come On! Either provide us with an ENGLISH translation site, or reserve the gobbly goop for the Mideval Culture who can interpret those sentences. Have you no respect or decency for an old man who is consigned to only the english language? Fooehy on youth!

Re: On the Web Site of another Language.

I agree. These guys like to post in english then sling a web page at ya' full of garbled up dialect from another culture where only they can decipher the phrases. Unprincipaled, undisciplined group they are, perhaps trying to make a statement.

I gave you a summary and this is far more, than you can expect. Alternatively visit google translations or learn a foreign language, if you intellectual capabilities allow.
You waste my time, idiots.

Very poor arrangement of terms

Anonymous said:
I gave you a summary and this is far more, than you can expect. Alternatively visit google translations or learn a foreign language, if you intellectual capabilities allow.
You waste my time, idiots.

You gave us a summary by your own personal interpretation of information then supplied the LINK for the rest of us without translation into a comprehensible dialect. For your information, should i choose, i could easily have employed IM Translator to conduct further study on your summary as you say.Wouldn't it have been professionally accomodating to the those who are unfamiliar & likely to never persuade very far from their own native language, to follow up on your message by reviewing the link in the same demeanor as is displayed in this Forum?Why do you choose to resorting to juvenile childish tactics with the expression "idiots" and thus by doing bring reproach upon yourself, this fine product, and this worthy web site?

Back