Build 6.0.8.2273 wont load

northridge

XP Sp3
Just updated from an earlier build to 6.0.8 and as soon as I try to run it or boot my pc I get the "Eraser has encountered an error". I downloaded the file twice from SourceForge - same results both times.
I no longer have a backup of the previous version: where can I find a recent build?

Chances are that there's a problem with the Task List. Delete the file (you know the one :) ) and restart Eraser.

David

Yes, that was it.
Very strange, that a security-oriented program should leave such a huge wad of info like the Task List lying around: mine was months and months old.
Uninstalling and reinstalling Eraser brought back the original task list - DUH? How secure is that?

It's been disclaimed in the documentation -- uninstalling Eraser will not remove the task list. This is because once Eraser's no longer running, there's no way to securely get rid of the task list; anyway, if users are removing Eraser they probably are going to a competing product and would probably rather use that product instead to remove the task list.

northridge said:
Uninstalling and reinstalling Eraser brought back the original task list - DUH? How secure is that?
If you delete an insecure Task List to the Recycle Bin while Eraser is not running (right-click on the icon in the System Tray, then click on 'Exit Eraser'), then erase the Recycle Bin when Eraser is restarted, the contents of the Task List will be gone. Alternatively, just use context menu erasing; tasks initiated from the context menu are not saved to disk unless there's an error, and the task entry is still in place when Eraser is exited.

David

Back