Can not erase in mapped folder of W2K3 Active Directory

udomuecke

BSI is suggesting Eraser. But we are not able to let it remove files from mapped folders of W2K3 Active Directory. It is only working local. When we use it at a client for a file on a server, it is announcing success but after refreshing you can see file is still there. Can s.o. help?

Eraser is designed for use on local hard drives, but will work on systems that mimic Windows file system behaviour. Use on a server, especially one running Win 2K, has probably not been tested by the developers, and will not be supported.

You do not say which version you are using. AFAIK Eraser 6 does not run on Win 2K, and all previous versions are no longer supported.

David

@OP: Which client are you running the erase on? Windows Vista/7 will cache the folder listing of a network share for 5 minutes, by default. Have you checked that the file is gone on the server?

Thanks for the Answers. Thinking about, i recognized that it is just a silly idea using Eraser on a RAID-Array.

Actually it isn't, just that it is quite obvious that Eraser has been used since the parity drive would contain the parity of the random data... so if plausible deniability is not a concern, then it would still be useful.

Eraser writes to the Windows file system; as far as the RAID array is concerned, what Eraser does is what any other program does. The RAID controller works, so to speak, at a lower level than the file system and happily works with Eraser's file system calls.

David

Oh, it msut be different in some kind, otherwise it would erase the files into the mapped Folders. But what I meant was, that the block management at a RAID is more dynamic and so probably there are data fragments on other blocks which are not overwritten.

It's possible, though I can't imagine a situation where a RAID controller manufacturer will engineer such a thing: it would most likely be complexity with no benefit.

... and they'd want the RAID functionality, once established, to be transparent to the user, and therefore to work with normal function calls.

The only low-level systems I know of that prevent Eraser working are those (such as wear levelling systems on SSDs and flash drives) which redirect the erasing write to a different physical location on the drive. In such cases, the erasing data is written but the original data is not overwritten (though a free space erase will work, because that fills the drive). I do not know of any reason why a RAID driver as such should include wear levelling; that is a function of the individual physical drive rather than of the array. Of course, it is possible to use SSDs quite effectively in RAID arrays; in commercial applications, such drives use encryption to protect the data.

David

Back