Can see all previously dleted file names after erasing!

yai

I have run Eraser using a 3 pass code on all unused disk space, with windows XP. I believed that all the file names and entries of previously deleted files would also be overwritten.

HOWEVER - when I run an undlete utility (FileRecover) - I get a list of thousands of deleted file names. How are these being stored? AM I doing something wrong? I think some of these files are years old!

yai said:
HOWEVER - when I run an undlete utility (FileRecover) - I get a list of thousands of deleted file names. I think some of these files are years old!

Correct, they are years old, because you have not yet erased them.
Use the eraser "wipe free space" drive function and they will be gone.

Caution: Do not wipe the whole drive, or EVERYTHING will be gone! ;-)

similar problem

ihatesignups, if I'm reading the OP correctly it sounds like running the program to wipe free space is exactly what he's doing.

I think I'm seeing something similar myself. If I scan my drive with a recovery tool, like Recover4all Professional, I see a lot of deleted files available for recovery. I ran the "wipe unused disk space" feature of Eraser, but when I run Recover4all again afterward, a lot of those deleted files and filenames still show up.

I tried a different wipe tool (BCWipe) instead of Eraser, and it actually seemed to work-- I ran Recover4all afterward and didn't see any of the deleted files that appeared before wiping. This makes me wonder how effective Eraser really is at removing previously deleted files... too bad, because I like Eraser and it's freeware, whereas BCWipe is shareware.

Back