Cannot erase some folders.

Miker

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit using Eraser 6.0.7.1893, and I've been having this problem since the very first Eraser 6.0 stable (can't remember what exact version that was). What happens is, whenever I try to erase folders I get an error, which forces me to manually delete the folder in a non-secure fashion. It seems entirely random as to which folder this will happen to, as some do erase just fine. Here is the error:

Code:
Session: Monday, November 01, 2010 11:12:52 PM
Monday, November 01, 2010 11:12:54 PM	Error	The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

I've tried changing the permissions, changing the owner, renaming the folder, just about everything I can possibly think of and the problem still won't go away. I am logged in as an Administrator and Eraser is running in Administrator mode.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious or maybe it's a bug with the program. At this point I really don't know. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

You're on the right track, in that, essentially, this is a file system issue. But there is then, also, the question as to how well Eraser deals with the issue.

The error can have a number of causes. To be on the safe side, start with a disk check (with the option to correct errors ticked), to ensure that there are no issues with the MFT. Then, if the errors persist, try downloading version 6.0.8.2273, which is, or is close to being, the release candidate for the next service release. This contains some significant bug fixes, one or more of which may relate to your problem.

If all else fails, the normal workaround for this issue is to move the files to be erased to the Recycle Bin, and then erase the contents of that. Obviously, moving the files updates their MFT entries, and that usually seems to clear the problem.

David

Yes, do let us know your progress. If you do still encounter the problem, please post back and I can propose more... aggressive debugging options.

I did a scan on the partition in question, found no errors at all. I did however move the folder to the recycle bin and was able to erase it from there without a problem.

Also, since installing version 6.0.8.2273 I have been able to erase all folders without any problems. I'll let you know if that changes, though. Thanks for the help guys!

Back