Cannot upgrade from 6.0.7.1893 to 6.0.8.2273

niam_krawt

I currently have Eraser version 6.0.7.1893 installed. When I download and run the version 6.0.8.2273 installer in an attempt to upgrade, I receive the following error message:

"A newer version of Eraser is already installed. Setup will now exit."

See attached screenshots of the error message and the Help => About box of the currently installed version.

I imagine uninstalling the current version prior to installing the new version is a viable workaround, just thought someone might like to know about the issue.

Best regards,
Niam

Attachments

• Eraser1.PNG
    Eraser1.PNG
    20.7 KB · Views: 710
  • Eraser2.PNG
    Eraser2.PNG
    82.4 KB · Views: 710
A quick update on my original post. I uninstalled version 6.0.7, and received the same error message when attempting to install 6.0.8. I used the uninstall shortcut in the Start Menu => All Programs => Eraser => Uninstall Eraser.

However, Eraser is still displayed in the Control Panel => Add/Remove Programs list. Removing/Uninstalling Eraser via the Add/Remove Programs list appears to have fixed the problem. I was then able to install version 6.0.8.

I'm glad it's now working. I thought this issue had been fixed, but there was always the workaround of removing the earlier version completely.

If you are left with a spurious entry in add remove programs, there are a number of free utilities available that will enable you to deal with this.

David

I too have the same problem with the same 2 versions of Eraser. We are trying to upgrade due to the bug in 6.0.7 where it does not always report the amount of space to be overwritten correctly. Thanks for posting your suggested fix.

I'd recommend everyone to upgrade to 6.0.8. Did removing Eraser 6.0.7 completely allow the installation to continue?

David

niam_krawt said:
A quick update on my original post. I uninstalled version 6.0.7, and received the same error message when attempting to install 6.0.8. I used the uninstall shortcut in the Start Menu => All Programs => Eraser => Uninstall Eraser.

However, Eraser is still displayed in the Control Panel => Add/Remove Programs list. Removing/Uninstalling Eraser via the Add/Remove Programs list appears to have fixed the problem. I was then able to install version 6.0.8.
Eraser 6 does not have an "uninstall" shortcut; that looks like a remnant from v5. The only way to uninstall Eraser would be to use the add/remove (or programs and features) control panel applet.

DavidHB said:
I'd recommend everyone to upgrade to 6.0.8. Did removing Eraser 6.0.7 completely allow the installation to continue?

David
It should. Hopefully the next release won't have the same issue.

Back