Cannot upgrade to 6.0.8.2273 ("A new version is installed")

irvinsteiner

I'm using 6.0.7.1893 on Windows 7 Professional. When I run the installer, it showed "A new version is installed".

Of course, I can just reinstall it again, just wanted to report the problem. Probably I can give more details about this problem.

Re: Cannot upgrade to 6.0.8.2273 ("A new version is installe

Did you install a nightly build prior to this?

Joel said:
Did you install a nightly build prior to this?
If you didn't, reinstallation may not work. After uninstalling 6.0.7, use the guidance in the FAQ for removing the Task List and other Eraser traces before attemting to reinstall.

David

It's interesting, I have a separate complaint from a friend of mine. I'll need to investigate.

irvinsteiner said:
I'm using 6.0.7.1893 on Windows 7 Professional. When I run the installer, it showed "A new version is installed".

Of course, I can just reinstall it again, just wanted to report the problem. Probably I can give more details about this problem.

Exact same result on my Win7 Home Premium 64bit.

L

OK, thank you. I'll investigate.

I've managed to reproduce the bug here. As a workaround, users can uninstall older versions of Eraser before installing the new version.

Joel said:
I've managed to reproduce the bug here. As a workaround, users can uninstall older versions of Eraser before installing the new version.

Thanks for the reply. I managed to install the latest version after uninstalling the previous version.

In my case, I also had to delete the Task List from the previous version.

David

I've got the same problem. I had to uninstall 6.0.7.1893 before I could install 6.0.8.2273. Interestingly, after installing the latest version, opening the application and clicking on Help, About shows the version as 6.0.7.1893, not the latest version. Also, in the upper right-hand corner of the Eraser main window, the version number under the word Eraser is 6.06. The version shown in Control Panel, Programs and Features is 6.0.2273. Note the "8" is missing. Perhaps this is where the "newer version" problems lies?

I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

Thanks.

Mainframer said:
Note the "8" is missing. Perhaps this is where the "newer version" problems lies?
Not in fact. Joel has traced the problem to the WiX install (.msi file) builder, which apparently does not regard the thousands digit in the build number as significant (!). I imagine that this has given Joel a rather significant configuration control problem.

David

I've had a second look at it, indeed I've observed the same thing. That would explain the "Newer version" problem. It probably isn't WiX issue after all. What exactly, I do not know at the moment.

Mainframer: if the About dialog reports 6.0.7 as the installed version then there is an issue with the installer. Try uninstalling and reinstalling (again). It should report 6.0.8.2273.

On my x64 machine it does seem to install fine (with the exception of the newer version problem).

Joel: I uninstalled and reinstalled 6.0.8.2273 as you suggested and the Help, About now displays the correct version, 6.0.8.2273, as does the upper right hand corner of the application window, which shows 6.08.

Back