Cant Find Temporary Internet Files

ParksOlly

According to Piriform Recuva there are some files in my Temporary internet Files folder I would like to erase. When I go Erase Schedule - New Task - Add Data - Files In Folder - Browse, the Temporary Files folder is not where Recuva says it is. Recuva says it is C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files. There is no Local Settings folder in My Administrator folder, and so far I have been unable to find my Temporary Internet Files folder anywhere. Selected Show hidden files and folders, yet there is still no Temporary Internet Files folder to be found. Running XP Pro v5.1 SP3. Any ideas or suggestions anyone would care to share about what I may be doing wrong in my attempt to erase the content of my Temporary Internet Files folder will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Parks.

Recuva, by default, only finds previously deleted files. So the problem may be that these recoverable files may already be deleted. In that case, running and Eraser free space erase on the drive should make them non-recoverable.

One of the reasons I use Firefox is that it is much easier to use Eraser to clear the Internet clutter.

David

Thanks DavidHB, I greatly appreciate your taking time to consider and respond to my post. What you have outlined is exactly what I plan to do as soon as I find out how. I tried to browse to my Temporary Internet Files folder, but apparently I do not have one even though Recuva found some files in a folder of that name. Parks.

You can use Recuva's erase utility; ideally to eradicate such files you may like to run an Unused Space Erase on your C: drive.

ParksOlly said:
I tried to browse to my Temporary Internet Files folder, but apparently I do not have one even though Recuva found some files in a folder of that name. Parks.
You won't have one if it has been deleted ... :)

Generally, in XP, the folder is located in

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\

and there will be a folder of this kind for each user who has used Internet Explorer. Unless you are using the Administrator Account as your normal working account (which you should not be doing), you should find the folder under your own user name.

I agree with Joel's advice. The feature in Recuva to overwrite the files it finds is useful, but not as thorough as Eraser's free space wipe; however, it also takes much less time. Generally, I use the Recuva feature whenever I check which files are recoverable, and do a free space erase every few weeks when I can spare the machine for a few hours.

David

Thanks DavidHB & Joel, you have worked so hard to answer my question and it seems from your answers as if I have asked the wrong question. Let's pretend as if I had never mentioned the word 'Recuva'. In the olden days, when I surfed the web while using Windows 95, anything I surfed was automatically downloaded to a file folder on my hard drive named Temporary Internet Files. I could drill down to that file folder, open it and see everywhere I surfed. Then, in Windows 98 I could do the same thing. Now in Windows XP Pro, I have been unable to determine if web pages are downloaded to a temporary file folder. I would greatly appreciate any information anyone would care to share about whether or not web pages are downloaded to some sort of temporary file folder in Windows XP Pro as they were in Windows 95 and Windows 98. Then if web pages are downloaded to a temporary file folder in Windows XP Pro, is there a way to find the name and location of that file folder? The intended end result is that I will finally be able to browse to that folder in the Heidi New Task window and erase everything in that folder, as the instructions suggest is possible. All ideas, suggestions, and comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Parks.

You'll need to manually key that folder in. The Windows browser may not allow you to find the folder as it is a "special" folder.

Back