Cleaning freespace on my iPod (pseudo-random) reports errors

Rishu73

Cleaning free space on my iPod (pseudo-random) opened in Drive mode reports errors

Namely:

"IO operation will not work. Most likely the file will become too long or the handle was not opened to support synchronous IO operations."

Drive capacity is 27.8 GB, of which 14.7 GB is free.

Any advice?

Re: Cleaning freespace on my iPod (pseudo-random) reports er

Is that translated? What's the original language?

English - no translation should have occurred.

I found where someone else receives the equivalent error, with the HRESULT COR_E_IO (0x80131620) (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2010/04/14/9995509.aspx):

it fails with the error "IO operation will not work. Most likely the file will become too long or the handle was not opened to support synchronous IO operations."

int hr = System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.GetHRForException(e)

Gives hr as COR_E_IO (0x80131620).

The stack trace is as below.

System.IO.IOException: IO operation will not work. Most likely
the file will become too long or the handle was not opened
to support synchronous IO operations.
at System.IO.FileStream.WriteCore(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at System.IO.FileStream.FlushWrite()
at System.IO.FileStream.Flush()
at PInvoke.Program.Main(String[] args)

I was a Win32 developer (COM, not filesystems) so I can probably help a bit here if you need more info.

"IO operation will not work. Most likely the file will become too long or the handle was not opened to support synchronous IO operations." is not an error that I know Eraser, .NET Framework or Windows will report.

A stack trace would be helpful, are you able to get one from the exception?

No - just that message in the log for the eraser task. I can try to attach a VS 2010 or 2008 debugger to the process if you want.

However, I'm also trying to wipe the freesapce my external 300 GB USB drive (FAT32), and that crashes Eraser. I see the pop-up notification saying there was an error, and then the Eraser tooltip icon disappears from the system tray.

In this case, I do get a Windows Error Reporting event log - I will attach it.

Application event log entry:

Fault bucket 2998507642, type 5
Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: eraser.exe
P2: 6.0.9.2620
P3: 4fbad9e6
P4: Eraser.Util
P5: 6.0.9.2620
P6: 4fbad9d5
P7: 62
P8: 9
P9: System.NullReferenceException
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\Eli\AppData\Local\Temp\WER926F.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_eraser.exe_e0883874e82dd739eda4657b25734a8ba8445c9c_58ef9df3

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: decd1bfe-c24c-11e1-94ed-001f16ecd4c8
Report Status: 0

Attachments

• Report.txt
    14.1 KB · Views: 52

That would be useful. Eraser 6.0 uses .net 3.5. See if you can trap the exception and get a stack trace.

Output:
'Eraser.exe' (Managed (v2.0.50727)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_64\mscorlib\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.dll'
'Eraser.exe' (Managed (v2.0.50727)): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Eraser\Eraser.exe'
'Eraser.exe' (Managed (v2.0.50727)): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Eraser\Eraser.Manager.dll'
'Eraser.exe' (Managed (v2.0.50727)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll'
'Eraser.exe' (Managed (v2.0.50727)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll'
'Eraser.exe' (Managed (v2.0.50727)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll'
'Eraser.exe' (Managed (v2.0.50727)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualBasic\8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll'
'Eraser.exe' (Managed (v2.0.50727)): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Eraser\Eraser.Util.dll'
'Eraser.exe' (Managed (v2.0.50727)): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Eraser\Plugins\Eraser.DefaultPlugins.dll'
'Eraser.exe' (Managed (v2.0.50727)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Core\3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Core.dll'
'Eraser.exe' (Managed (v2.0.50727)): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Eraser\en\Eraser.resources.dll'
'Eraser.exe' (Managed (v2.0.50727)): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Eraser\BevelLine.dll'
'Eraser.exe' (Managed (v2.0.50727)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Xml\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Xml.dll'
'Eraser.exe' (Managed (v2.0.50727)): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Eraser\Plugins\en\Eraser.DefaultPlugins.resources.dll'
'Eraser.exe' (Managed (v2.0.50727)): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Eraser\en\Eraser.Manager.resources.dll'
A first chance exception of type 'System.IO.IOException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred in System.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred in System.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.IO.IOException' occurred in mscorlib.dll

Additional information: IO operation will not work. Most likely the file will become too long or the handle was not opened to support synchronous IO operations.

Callstack:
Code:
mscorlib.dll!System.IO.FileStream.WriteCore(byte[] buffer, int offset, int count) + 0x14b bytes

Eraser.Manager.dll!Eraser.Manager.PassBasedErasureMethod.Erase(System.IO.Stream stream, long erasureLength, Eraser.Manager.Prng prng, Eraser.Manager.ErasureMethodProgressFunction callback) + 0x1da bytes

Eraser.Manager.dll!Eraser.Manager.DirectExecutor.EraseUnusedSpace(Eraser.Manager.Task task, Eraser.Manager.UnusedSpaceTarget target, Eraser.Manager.DirectExecutor.TaskProgressManager progress) + 0x63a bytes

Eraser.Manager.dll!Eraser.Manager.DirectExecutor.Main() + 0x3f6 bytes

mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state) + 0x9b bytes

mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart() + 0x4d bytes

.Net is erroring out. That's the only conclusion I've got here.

I don't have an iPod to test this on... so if someone can figure out how or why this is happening, I could fix the code...

Wait -- how big is this iPod? Which file system is this?

If you know the cluster size of the file system, all the better.

30 GB 5th generation iPod - I believe the storage on these are SSD.

File system is FAT32, but when I try to use CHKDSK on it to get the cluster size, it responds as "The file system is RAW - CHKDSK can not be run on RAW drives".

iPods have a very peculiar formatting arrangement, and Apple is well known for its sometimes rather cavalier interpretation of standards it has not created (FAT32 is a Microsoft-owned file system). It may well be that the iPod is just not compatible with software such as Eraser that works directly with the file system.

David

Is the filesystem corrupt on the iPod?

Back