completed with errors

memoryfoam

Hi first post in this forum,
I have just started using eraser so plz forgive me if ive missed something obvious,
when I wipe free space or do i context wipe eraser says "completed with errors" when I used Recuva to check for remnants I was surprised to find mostly intact files :shock: :?
As a test I tried Erasing the recycle bin...
Results - same issue-recoverable files, I ran elevated and used different algorithms
log follows - Session: Monday, April 09, 2012 8:41:23 PM
Monday, April 09, 2012 8:41:24 PM Error The file D:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-3808106694-1758442468-3992027068-1001\desktop.ini could not be erased because the file was either compressed, encrypted or a sparse file.

Some questions.

Did the problem just relate to the Recycle Bin? Have you tried deleting something explicitly to the Recycle Bin. Was that removed when Eraser was run. When you look at the contents of the Recycle Bin, does the file giving the error message appear there? If it does, have you tried restoring it, and then erasing it explicitly.

I have an idea what your problem might be, but I need to cover all the bases.

David

Some questions.

Did the problem just relate to the Recycle Bin? Have you tried deleting something explicitly to the Recycle Bin. Was that removed when Eraser was run. When you look at the contents of the Recycle Bin, does the file giving the error message appear there? If it does, have you tried restoring it, and then erasing it explicitly.

I have an idea what your problem might be, but I need to cover all the bases.

David

Thanx for speedy response,
To answer your questions-
Did the problem just relate to the Recycle Bin?
-No this also happens when wipind g free space.
Have you tried deleting something explicitly to the Recycle Bin. Was that removed when Eraser was run.
-yes I did this with a .gif image and yes this was unrecoverable.
When you look at the contents of the Recycle Bin, does the file giving the error message appear there?
-sorry am unsure which individual files are giving error message, have log in first post, what I can tell you for sure is - .txt files are totally recoverable, a copy of a Linux OS I deleted to the reycycle bin and several VirtualBox files also.
If it does, have you tried restoring it, and then erasing it explicitly.
-I can delete most of these files from inside of recuva, however 1 paticular .txt file cannot be deleted as its been held in MFT now.
I hope this has helped,
Thanx again

Edit-
Have just wiped recycle bin again which contained a couple of video files and an unwanted app, comleted with errors but recuva is only showing the original files ie- the .txt files, VM files and linux OS. heres the log....
Session: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 5:16:42 AM
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 5:19:02 AM Error The file D:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-3808106694-1758442468-3992027068-1001\desktop.ini could not be erased because the file was either compressed, encrypted or a sparse file.
thanx

I was headed for the same point, but Joel got there first ... :)

David

Okay thanxs guys,
I followed your link -(viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5708 para 3) and also ran
rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin from an elevated cmd prompt, I have almost completed a full wipe of free space...
I have checked the recycle bin with recuva and can happily say no files recoverable :D
I suspect I may have some errors when this wipe completes, but only because of encrypted files, I will post log asap anyway,
Thanx again.

Hi
so the free space wipe completed and I can no longer recover anything :D
I retested the recycle bin with several diffrent files/folders, nothing recoverable, however it did complete with errors, log follows-
Session: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:43:36 PM
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:43:36 PM Error The file D:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-3808106694-1758442468-3992027068-1001\desktop.ini could not be erased because the file was either compressed, encrypted or a sparse file.
Do I still have an issue ? thanx again

I don't think that you have a significant security/privacy issue, but I can't tell from what you say whether the problem file has been re-created or the Recycle Bin folder was not deleted first time round. I prefer to get at the Recycle Bin folder from an elevated instance of Windows Explorer; I can then see whether the folder disappears or not (windows quickly re-creates it, of course).

David

Hi
I agree i don't think I have a serious issue its just bugging me lol
to clarify the original issue is resolved, I now have no recoverable files after eraser has been used, but I still get this error message from the recycle bin-
Session: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:21:30 PM
Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:21:31 PM Error The file D:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-3808106694-1758442468-3992027068-1001\desktop.ini could not be erased because the file was either compressed, encrypted or a sparse file.
This follows erasing a standard .txt file after deleting the recycle bin from windows explorer as admin,
Im happy that now nothing is recoverable but would like to know whats causing the errors
thanx

memoryfoam said:
I don't think I have a serious issue its just bugging me lol
I fully understand :)

Whenever I have had a problem like yours, it turned out that I hadn't properly deleted the Recycle Bin folder. Whenever I have deleted it properly, the odd 'files' that caused these errors then disappeared.

David

Re: completed with errors

Unread postby DavidHB » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:37 pm

memoryfoam wrote:I don't think I have a serious issue its just bugging me lol

I fully understand :)

Whenever I have had a problem like yours, it turned out that I hadn't properly deleted the Recycle Bin folder. Whenever I have deleted it properly, the odd 'files' that caused these errors then disappeared.

Hi
erm gotta say thanx and you where totally right ....
I had deleted and reset the recycle bin on (C:) not the drive with the issue (D:) :oops:
what can I say?? more haste less speed,
Thanx again and loving this bit of software

I'd have a giggle if I hadn't done that sort of thing all too often myself, so I'll just keep you company in the :oops: ...

David

I have just downloaded erasure
I wish to delete all unused free space and tick the appropriate box
every time it says completed with errors I am an administrator
how can I make erasure work??
I have read previous replies regarding using as an administrator but that doesnt work either
I have read FAQ and done exactly what has been asked but still no luck.
I am now going to delete erasure as there is nothing else to do

Everything you need to know is in the sticky post in the FAQ entitled "Getting to know Eraser 6". I am afraid I say this time and again, but if you are in Windows 7 or Vista, you are not running as Administrator, even if you have the privileges. That is why the FAQ explain how you can run Eraser as Administrator.

David

Everything you need to know is in the sticky post in the FAQ entitled "Getting to know Eraser 6". I am afraid I say this time and again, but if you are in Windows 7 or Vista, you are not running as Administrator, even if you have the privileges. That is why the FAQ explain how you can run Eraser as Administrator.

David

Do you have a link for this FAQ? I see this was posted a while back so might be very out of date.
I can't find any post with a topic "Getting to know" using the site search and I can't find any sticky post with that either.

I looked over the offerings on the website and do not see any links or references to any FAQ there either.

I getting errors saying a video file "could not be erased because the file was either compressed, encrypted or a sparse file." and looking for a solution. I saw some references to needing to run as admin on win7 pro and want to learn how to do that. I am not seeing that as a setting option.

Back