...compressed, encrypted or a sparse file

Stasis

So I've recently been getting a lot of " ...could not be erased because the file was either compressed, encrypted or a sparse file." errors when using Eraser 6.0.10.2620.

The files causing the errors don't appear to be any different from files that successfully erase, same drive/folder/file type, etc. They're certainly not encrypted or sparse, and the compression is standard video which Eraser shouldn't have a problem with?

E.g. trying to erase one .mp4 (downloaded tv episode) will show the error, while another mp4 in the same directory doesn't. This happens to maybe 30% of files currently. Was happening to 0% of files with the same frequently of erasing a few months back. Not sure if coincides with this latest build, I actually have the feeling it's more recent than that.

Running on a completely non-encrypted or partitioned hard drive; Win 8.1 x64.

Just tried again, Doctor Who mp4 gives me an error; The Leftovers mp4 erases correctly. Both in the same directory, both appear identically compressed and labeled.

Another question, what happens to these vanished files? They disappear from the directory instantly, i.e. much faster than they would if correctly erased, and they don't end up in the Recyling bin... would erasing free space on the drive obliterate them? Obviously not using Eraser for that! CCleaner is working though.

[edit]

I re-downloaded files that didn't erase previously, along with ones that did, and make copies of each to test.

Turned out it seems kinda random which work and which don't... Ended up with 6 that failed to erase from about 40 attempts, and those 6 were 4 different files - each of which successfully erased several times over.

Doctor.Who.2005.S08E02.HDTV.x264-TLA.mp4 is an example of a file that both fails and succeeds at being erased.

So in lieu of a /bump: A security horror story.

I run CCleaner enhancer and Eraser's unused space overwrite often. I also use Recuva for lols now and then to see what's what. No particular reason, I just enjoy trying to keep my system ship-shape. Recuva generally finds nothing (maybe a random file here and there) after my ccleaner/eraser sweeps. I run it via the recycling bin mostly.

I read good stuff about a program called System Ninja, which I ran, and found thousands bits of 'clutter', many of which indicated they were from the recycling bin.

So I deleted the files (no secure option in System Ninja), then ran Recuva again... 650 previously deleted files pop up, the vast majority of which were in excellent recoverable condition. Apparently everything I've 'soft' deleted in the last few months is alive and well on my hard drive! Even though free space has been scrubbed to death. Required a second deletion via System Ninja to register as being deleted I'm assuming... I restored a couple of movies I'd deleted 4-5 months ago to re-watch, so that was a bonus :)

Now I run CCleaner Enhancer regularly, and have erased free space on my drives multiple (many) times in the last couple of months, so I would have assumed that anything previously deleted via the recycling bin would be gone. Apparently not!

So... seems that erasing free space does nothing in relation to previously deleted files. Does it skip sectors that contain 'marked for deletion' data? Is this behavior particular to windows 8.1 or a fundamental flaw in the system?

Dunno. This combined with Eraser not reliably erasing isn't ideal though. I've run CCleaner's free space wipe numerous times also, so not Eraser specific.

tl;dr Recuva finds nothing; System Ninja finds and deletes "clutter"; Recuva magically finds every file I've 'soft' deleted ever, even though I've used Eraser's free space wiper (and CCleaner enhancer with most options checked) dozens of times since.

This age old problem has now followed over to Windows 10. Most video files fail to erase. They are not compressed or sparse files. Eraser just gobbles them up in a second or two with the normal resulting failure notice in the log. Can it be fixed please
:(

"Recuva finds nothing; System Ninja finds and deletes "clutter"; Recuva magically finds every file I've 'soft' deleted ever, even though I've used Eraser's free space wiper (and CCleaner enhancer with most options checked) dozens of times since."

This is slightly concerning, and similar to some experiences that I had with the "Erase Free Space" option .

Admins/experienced members, any thoughts?

i have the same problem. i can't delete any file with eraser. equal which file type and size. anytime an update appears i hope that this failure is solved but everytime it is the same result "the file could not be erased because the file was either compressed, encrypted or a sparse file".

i think there is no other way i must search a new eraser programm. or have anybody a solution to fix this problem?

Back