DBan & Bios Settings

Undergrad

I just wanted to add some points on DBan. I had issues with my bios settings with Dban when i tried to erase my HD's. It urns out, DBan does not like "Card reader" support enabled through the Bios, as well i beleive the setting dealing with the sata <-> EIDE settings. Once these were disabled, everything worked like a charm

Thanks for the information.

Are the card readers exposed through a SATA/SCSI interface to the OS?

I don't know. But I had to disable on my laptop, even the sata-eide (I think this was an emulation or something) for DBan to work. (might be the laptop HD was actually EIDE and was emulated to sata)

Know on another note, I just used it on my desktop last week, and all my drives are sata, and I didn't have to do a thing.

I did notice DBan didn't honour my partition on my drive. I had to wipe the whole drive.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not in a position to fix DBAN though, it has been left unmaintained for quite a while already.

I wish someone would pick the project up though. It's a good app and the "idea" is sound. Wished i knew enough about coding :) But i don't (can barely do a web page with php hehe) But it does work.

A person can not get enough "good job" these days. So here it is, to all the people involved with the development of eraser, good job, i love it a lot.

Undergrad said:
I wish someone would pick the project up though. It's a good app and the "idea" is sound. Wished i knew enough about coding :) But i don't (can barely do a web page with php hehe) But it does work.
There is a DBAN forum on SourceForge, where these comments might find a wider audience. But DBAN has had no developer support for, I believe, more than four years now. In that time hardware capabilities have moved on and any new developer would have all the hassle of finding or writing a suitable set of up to date drivers and compiling them into the DBAN kernel. That's not, I fear, very likely to happen. In the meantime, Eraser, proerly used, can do a pretty good job of sanitising a machine.

Undergrad said:
A person can not get enough "good job" these days. So here it is, to all the people involved with the development of eraser, good job, i love it a lot.
So do I, which is why I spend time testing it and here on the forum. Joel, who is 'all the people' will be grateful for your comments. He has found a bit of time to start serious work on Eraser 6.2, and has already produced 6.1 builds which seem to show useful progress. But he now has to go through the grunt work (which, when complete, will be quite invisible to the user) of bringing the Eraser 6 architecture and infrastructure up to date, which includes such things as moving on to .NET 4 (already implemented) and reimplementing the core plugins.

David

Back