DBAN floppy boot failed

Bridget

I created the DBAN floppy according to the instructions; set my computer (Dell Dimension XPS T450/Windows98SE) to boot from floppy drive, which it does but DBAN does not load. Message shown is: "SYSLINUX 2.13 2004-12-14 Boot Failed".

I am not a computer whiz. I just want to nuke the hard drive before recycling my old system. Please help.

Thank you.

dajhorn said:
The floppy disk is likely bad. Use another new floppy disk, or try the CD-R version of DBAN instead.

I already tried a second floppy and got the same message. I don't understand CD-R - is that writing to a CD? Like I said, NOT a computer whiz.

Thank you.

I already tried a second floppy and got the same message.
A variety of factors can prevent the DBAN floppy disk from being properly created. Most often, a virus scanner interferes. Try creating the DBAN floppy disk on another computer.

I don't understand CD-R - is that writing to a CD?
Yes.

A variety of factors can prevent the DBAN floppy disk from being properly created. Most often, a virus scanner interferes. Try creating the DBAN floppy disk on another computer.

I removed the firewall and antivirus software from the computer I am trying to nuke and then downloaded the file again to a new floppy but I still get the same message "boot failed". I can access the floppy and have read the troubleshoot file but find nothing in it that helps me figure out the problem. Please advise.

Thank you.

Back