Deleted file and folder names not erased in Free Space Wipe

AcHommer

I have had some problems using the free space wipe feature in Eraser.

My system is Windows XP SP3 with all the latest express updates. I have been using the latest stable version of Eraser, 6.0.8.2273. I have read the FAQ. I am logged in as administrator.

The first problem is that when performing a free space wipe, Eraser freezes my system near the end of the wipe. On manually resetting the computer, I still have all my free space. There are no records in Eraser. The workaround for this is to use Eraser in Safe Mode. I have several partitions and successfully erased the free space in a non-C: partition. I used Convar PC Inspector File Recovery to confirm that all deleted files and folders are no longer present (there are no green folders and file names).

However, when trying to wipe the free space of the C: drive, this completes with errors. The file names of deleted files and folders are still present. I tried using the Run on Reset feature, but this does not work in Safe Mode. It does run in normal mode, with the usual freeze near the end of the task. Still no success. I also tried using the latest beta version 6.1.0.2284 with no success.

In the error log the first error is

Saturday, 9 July 2011 2:10:23 PM Error C:\pagefile.sys did not have its cluster tips erased because of the following error: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

I then get a whole bunch of information messages, the first of which is below

Saturday, 9 July 2011 2:10:35 PM Information C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\Manifests\x86_Microsoft.Windows.GdiPlus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.0.0.0_x-ww_8d353f13.cat did not have its cluster tips erased, because it is a system file

I then get a whole bunch of error messages, the first of which is below

Saturday, 9 July 2011 2:11:02 PM Error C:\WINDOWS\System32\config\system.LOG did not have its cluster tips erased because of the following error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)

Any help in resolving this would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Deleted file and folder names not erased in Free Space W

Please read the FAQ post "Common Eraser problems" for general information on resolving this issue, which appears to be system related and can (I believe) have more than one cause.

You need to (1) check that all erasing files have been deleted (again, more details in the FAQ), (2) do a disk check and defrag the disk, to get as much free space as possible into contiguous areas. If the free space wipe still gives problems, try (3) using a development build (6.1.0.2284 is the most recently posted, I think).

The 'errors' about non-erasing of cluster tips, particularly on the C: drive, are normal. Eraser is a bit too free with its error messages on this point. Normally, I disable the option to erase cluster tips when erasing free space on the system drive.

David

Thanks for your reply David.

1) Yes, I had checked that all erased files had been deleted. There are no folders with random file names in my C: partition.

2) I did do a disk check but I did not try defragging the disk. I will try that next. Thanks for the suggestion.

3) I did try 6.1.0.2284 but that did not solve my problem (unerased file and folder names).

The fundamental problem is that Windows is preventing Eraser from completing the free space erase; it just does not like the drive being filled. Free entries in the MFT (or FAT) are only cleared once erasing is complete, so an erase that is stopped never gets to that point, and the file names remain intact.

I suspect (but do not know) that the problem is greater if the drive is fragmented, because the file system has to search for many more non-contiguous empty locations to fill with the erasing files. Also, judging by reports on the forum, the problem is more prevalent on XP systems than on those using later OSs. Why that should be, I do not know.

Joel is considering two possible changes to future versions of Eraser. Firstly, he may put file table free entry erasing at the beginning rather than the end of the free space erase (CCleaner does this). Secondly, he reacted favourably to a user request for a function to clear only the empty file table entries. This may seem rather an odd thing to do, but it would help in a case such as yours.

David

Can I ask how long you let Eraser run (after it has supposedly hung) before you forced it closed/resetted the computer?

Back