deleting 1 file in a directory

nwkat

I'm using 5.7 on Win XP. When I right click a file, Eraser shows the entire diectory. Will I be deleting the last file or the entire directory? :?
For example:
C:\\Documents and Settings\\<User Name>\\Local Settings\\History\\History.IE5
Will Documents and Settings be deleted because it's in the directory path?

Also, why can't Eraser remove an index.dat file? It always prompts access denied because process is in use. Which process or processes? :lol:

Looks like no one else has responded, so I will.

Assuming you haven't tried this already and gotten your answer, the correct answer is that Eraser will only erase the lowest item you select, either a file or files, or a directory. In your case, the "History.IE5" file. It won't erase all of Documents and Settings, too :)

Hello,

Index.dat can only be erased on Reboot. Create a new task and schedule it for Reboot.

You must create a new task for this as follows:
1. Click on the Scheduler Icon on the left.
2. Click on File->New Task
3. Tick the 'File' radio button and enter index.dat
4. Select the 'Scheduler' tab and select 'Reboot' (last
option) from the 'Every' drop down field list.
That's it.

Also, have a look at the Spiderbite (Free) from: http://home.att.net/~gatorgrad/downloadtop.html Spiderbite eliminates all traces of your web browsing from your computer. It removes the cache files, cookies, and empties the index.dat file that stores the addresses you've visited.

Best regards,
Admin

Just a couple of notes.

Admin, above, is right that erasing index.dat can be difficult, since the operating system protects these files. This can lead to collections of data regarding web sites to which people have visited, etc.

However, tests that I have done on my system (Windows XP Pro) lead me to believe that after Internet Explorer is run, and until the system is rebooted, index.dat mysteriously loses its protection and can be deleted. To be specific, I've noticed that running Internet Explorer, followed by simply deleting internet files from the "Internet Options" control panel option, also clears the Index.dat files.

Regardless, it's better, of course, to actually wipe the files, not delete them. To do this, I use logout and shutdown scripts (I'm not sure how this can be done in Windows XP Home edition, but in XP Pro it's pretty simple).

(scripts listed in the next post)

Here's the contents of my logoff script:

@echo off
echo clearing user data...
C:\progra~1\eraser\eraserl -folder "%USERPROFILE%\cookies\" -method DoD_E -queue -silent
C:\progra~1\eraser\eraserl -folder "%USERPROFILE%\locals~1\history\" -subfolders -method DoD_E -queue -silent
C:\progra~1\eraser\eraserl -folder "%USERPROFILE%\locals~1\tempor~1\" -subfolders -method DoD_E -queue -silent
C:\progra~1\eraser\eraserl -folder "%USERPROFILE%\recent\" -method DoD_E -queue -silent
C:\progra~1\eraser\eraserl -folder "%USERPROFILE%\cookies\" -method DoD_E -queue -silent
echo clearing recycled bin...
C:\progra~1\eraser\eraserl -recycled -method DoD_E -queue -silent
echo clearing temp folder...
C:\progra~1\eraser\eraserl -folder "%TEMP%" -subfolders -keepfolder -method DoD_E -queue -silent
echo clearing java cache...
C:\progra~1\eraser\eraserl -folder "%APPDATA%\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0" -subfolders -keepfolder -method DoD_E -queue -silent
echo clearing Firefox data...
for /D %%G in ("%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*.*") do (
C:\progra~1\eraser\eraserl -file "%%G\Cache\*" -method DoD_E -queue -silent
C:\progra~1\eraser\eraserl -file "%%G\history.dat" -method DoD_E -queue -silent
C:\progra~1\eraser\eraserl -file "%%G\cookies.txt" -method DoD_E -queue -silent
)

Note that I use Mozilla Firefox, the history of which is cleared by this script.

And here's my shutdown script (which is run after the logoff script if the system is shut down):

@echo off
echo running Spybot scan...
C:\progra~1\spybot~1\spybotsd.exe /autocheck /autofix /autoclose /taskbarhide
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce" /v SpybotSnD /f
C:\progra~1\eraser\eraserl -file "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups\*" -method DoD_E -queue -silent
C:\progra~1\eraser\eraserl -file "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Statistics.ini" -method DoD_E -queue -silent
echo running F-PROT virus scan...
C:\F-PROT\F-PROT.EXE /AUTO /DISINF /RENAME /HARD /REPORT=C:\virlog.txt /TYPE /APPEND
echo clearing free drive space...
C:\progra~1\eraser\eraserl -disk all -method Random 1 -queue

You'll note that the shutdown script not only checks for spyware and gets rid of any remaining useage tracks (a feature of Spybot S&D), but also runs a virus scan and does a full drive freespace wipe using Eraser. Since I usually only shut down my computer at night, this is fine, since I don't care whether or not the process takes hours at that point.

Kythe said:
Admin, above, is right that erasing index.dat can be difficult, since the operating system protects these files.
The operating system protects all files that are opened with exclusive access by any process, there isn't anything special about index.dat files. The reason they are locked most of the time is that the Windows shell, which starts when you log in and (understandably) doesn't shut down until you log out again, loads at least some of the Internet Explorer components, which then causes the index files to be locked.

If I remember correctly, you can erase the index.dat files even when you are logged in if you simply shut down the Windows shell first (there were instructions for doing this in Microsoft's developer documentation about debugging shell extensions). However, that's hardly worth the trouble when you can simply use another web browser.

index.dat mysteriously loses its protection and can be deleted. To be specific, I've noticed that running Internet Explorer, followed by simply deleting internet files from the "Internet Options" control panel option, also clears the Index.dat files.
The reason why the index files can be cleared from "Internet Options" is that it's most likely the process that keeps the files locked that does the clearing. I haven't checked, but Internet Explorer probably provides an API for clearing the browser history and cache. As far as I can tell, the index files remain locked for other processes the whole time.

To do this, I use logout and shutdown scripts
If these files must be erased, that seems to be the best way to do it.

Sami said:
The reason why the index files can be cleared from "Internet Options" is that it's most likely the process that keeps the files locked that does the clearing. I haven't checked, but Internet Explorer probably provides an API for clearing the browser history and cache. As far as I can tell, the index files remain locked for other processes the whole time.

This makes sense. However, it's interesting to me that before Internet Explorer is run, using "Internet Options" to clear the cache and history will not clear the index.dat files. Perhaps running and stopping Internet Explorer ends whatever process keeps the files locked, or at least ends the lock.

As you noted, using another browser is certainly an option (I use Firefox). However, Windows uses index.dat files not only to keep track of internet history and cookies, but also user history (e.g. files opened) on Windows systems. If one wants to avoid leaving extensive useage tracks on one's computer, regular clearing of index.dat files is a must, IMHO.

Back