deleting Internet Explorer Temporary Files & others

bulibasa

Hi,

sorry if I am look dumb but I am new with eraser, if I preform "erase the unused space" on my computer, are all the internet temporary files, history files, e-mails, e-mail addresses automatically scrubbed? I cannot find any specific comand in eraser which should be deleting these items individually.

Also, what does it mean: "Erases Files/Folders that were only previously 'deleted'", i do not understand this. Is this the erase the unused space comand?

many thanks. :D
Bulibasa

bulibasa said:
sorry if I am look dumb but I am new with eraser, if I preform "erase the unused space" on my computer, are all the internet temporary files, history files, e-mails, e-mail addresses automatically scrubbed? I cannot find any specific comand in eraser which should be deleting these items individually.

No erasing unused space will do just that. It will not touch any files on the hard drive only deleted ones. What I would recommend you do is run CCleaner before you run the erase unused space option. CCleaner goes through your hard drive and deletes temporary files and caches left by a large number of programs.

The other option is to use erase and delete them manually or via scheduler, if you do I search of the forums I list a number of directories that are worth wiping.

v6 of eraser when complete should have this functionality via plugins

bulibasa said:
Also, what does it mean: "Erases Files/Folders that were only previously 'deleted'", i do not understand this. Is this the erase the unused space comand?

When you delete a file in Windows it is not really deleted, merely the space it occupied is marked as free so if you install something else it can write over it and use the available space. Unfortunately with ever larger hard drives a lot of 'deleted' files and folders are never over written and as a result are easily recovered. Using eraser to wipe the free space will prevent this from happening.

many thanks for your response.

Unfortunately with ever larger hard drives a lot of 'deleted' files and folders are never over written and as a result are easily recovered.

Don't understand that, if I have a 100gb hardrive and I write 100gb data on it, does this mean tha all some of the files previously written are not overriten and can be recovered?

thanks
bulibasa

At a basic level Yes if you write 100Gig to 100Gig drive the data has been over written. I didn't really make it clear in my previous post but I was talking more about general day to day use (create a document / deleting files / installing programs) rather than securely wiping free space.

Going back to your example and modify it slightly. You have a 250Gb hdd with 100Gb of free space and over write the 100Gb with data you run the risk of data still being recovered as you haven't taken into account that disks fragment and that slack space can contain data from previously delete files. This all allows for partial recovery of data.

Back