Disapointing level of help on this forum compared to others

Status
Not open for further replies.

doreen2202

Hi Folks i am sorry to say this that even though the product is good and yes free the support is very bad even in the freeware world i cannot believe that no one here or the creator of the programm cannot offer any advice about the problem that myself and other are experiencing

You really need to change the title from support as here there seems after reading all the post to be very little REAL support just silly comments

Sorry for the rant but i am dissapointed as in the early days when sami was the developer
A. the programm worked
B. you got some help even if it was to say i dont know whats wrong !!

At least you know its better than no responce at all

Dorenn :twisted: :evil:

I understand that you have experienced problems using Eraser with hard drives in a RAID configuration.

The darkening screen sounds like Vista's UAC, although that obviously doesn't exist on XP. About the only thing I could suggest is turning User Account Control in Vista OFF and making sure that you have full administrative privileges when running Eraser. Other than that, I don't have an answer either.

A RAID controller on a home PC is not a typical use case. I don't know what implications, if any, this would have on the low-level functionality of a program like Eraser. It might just be that Eraser can't support your configuration. If so, tough luck.

I'm sorry that you're disappointed with the forums here; nobody likes not getting an answer to their question. But that's just the way it goes sometimes. Nobody promised that everything would work perfectly or that somebody would have an answer to your question. If it upsets you that much, why don't you look somewhere else for a product that meets your needs?

Oh Thank you

Thank you very much for your reply even though it did not help just to get a reply was fab i say fab ! again thank you for taking the time and not flaming me which i may have deserved i was just very frustrated

Thanks again

Dor

Doreen 2202 I've offen said the same things and more, like telling Garrett where he can get help; he should help more; he should get more people to help with the work. But it is frustrating, it is like he has cloth ears or something and not much else in between. People don't post here because there questions wont be answered by Garrett just another user who though well intentioned and might know a answer but not the whole answer. I've gotten PM from people who don't come here any more asking for a update on progress. What does that say about the level of Support here. Garrett seems to think we can answer each others questions, but people come here because they don't know any answers.

Carver,

>>like telling Garrett where he can get help; he should help more; he >>should get more people to help with the work.
Right! I get lots of emails offering help from people who want to translate eraser or develop it. Mention supporting it in they are gone like rabbits. All those developers with great ideas - have never hear from them again. You know a few? Just like those supporting the forum people drift in and out and that is the best we can expect. The developers I see are more interested in ripping off Eraser into their own commercial products than advancing Eraser itself.

In the last year there has been quite a bit of development activity on Eraser.

I understand the frustration of those who email, as 99% of our mail servers are flooded with spam from the same users looking for help and who don't have virus/trojan scanners. We have a person whose job entails scanning these mails for genuine help requests.

Each email read and replied, reading the forum, banning IP addresses, answering phone calls etc costs time and money. It is simple math. Like it or not we have to run a commercial enterprise. Without the help of people like yourself we would just have to pull the plug. Eraser reached a point long ago where its use exceeded the ability to support it in a truly free/hobby manner.

Garrett

admin said:
Carver, I understand the frustration of those who email, as 99% of our mail servers are flooded with spam from the same users looking for help and who don't have virus/trojan scanners. We have a person whose job entails scanning these mails for genuine help requests.
Garrett
I get over 730 spam a week (and getting worse) and maybe 4-8 genuine emails. There are freeware email clients that have fillters, and Freeware virus/trojan scanners and freeware AV available on the net. The file sizes are not that big for people on dialup. I used to have Dialup myself.

Carver said:
Doreen 2202 I've offen said the same things and more, like telling Garrett where he can get help; he should help more; he should get more people to help with the work. But it is frustrating, it is like he has cloth ears or something and not much else in between. People don't post here because there questions wont be answered by Garrett just another user who though well intentioned and might know a answer but not the whole answer. I've gotten PM from people who don't come here any more asking for a update on progress. What does that say about the level of Support here. Garrett seems to think we can answer each others questions, but people come here because they don't know any answers.
You have just explained what happens in almost every software vendors forums. Questions are asked by members of the community to members of the community. This forms the basis of community knowledge sharing. In turn this helps software vendors improve thier products, often sparked by community knowledge sharing. You only have to become a member of any Microsoft, Oracle, Sun, or any other major software vendor you would like to mention, and you will see this approach. You pay a premium for these software vendors products, because you are paying for the level of free support that is offered by the volunteeering community, and not by the actual software vendor. If you require support from MS et al, you purchase a support contract and they would be happy to answer your questions. You could always ask heidi if they offer a paid for 24/7 support contract.

Running a website such as this takes bandwidth, which costs, where do you think the money comes from for this? To maintain a product and keep it in an iterative cycle of development and improvement, where do you think the money comes from for that?
Just those two facts alone do you think it all comes out of the $15, that people have parted with to buy, what is still an excellent product?
To pay for an elevated level of support, and have a team of qualified support people waiting to answer questions 24/7?
Would you be happy for the price of the product be raised to $60 - $100, which is where it would probably have to be elevated to just to cover the costs of full time support team.
I know for a fact you wouldn't be on this forum whinging about the levels of support, because you wouldn't have bought the product in the first place.
At the end of the day, Eraser is a quality product sold at an excellent value for money price.

a reply

Carver said:
You have just explained what happens in almost every software vendors forums.
Exactly.

FRom the front of this site"
Which operating systems does Eraser support?
Windows 95, 98, ME, NT 4.0, 2000 and XP (all versions, with or without service packs). Eraser has not been tested on other platforms.
It works with any drive including IDE, SCSI and RAID. Also CD-RW's.

Hi Carver and co thank you all very much for your responses but i did not wish to cause a heated exchange here !

Thats all i really required from the maintaner of the product was a simple yes it works with raid no it does not or i dont know

That was it really its called common courtesy nothing more and all the ye ha over support desks etc is irrellevent i have used the forums that you have mentioned and i can tell you i always get an answer even if i dont like what it is some time the little guy needs some help i am sorry if i have bothered all the uber geeks who feel that unless a product cost 100 bucks then it should have no support whatsoever. well thanks all i can say is i wish more people like carver should be made a moderator and given more acccess thereby if he wished helping out some of us less uber geeks

PS it still does not work on raid 0 but does on standalone disk

PPS espacially with gamers raid is becoming more standard so maybe you should think about that from way up there in the tower

Regards

Dor

can i have a simple reply please from garratt ???

Hi garatt do you have any idea what is causing my problem or is theis just me ?

maybe even a fix ???
Any chance please maybe ???

Dor :)

wherer have all the other posts gone ???

it says 15 posts and another page where are they or is there a problem with the posts ??

Regards

Dor

No you are not the only one, when I got the error of no posts I thought someboby just got this thread locked and deleted. Its not till I clicked on page one to see what got this thread locked that I found that there was some sort of post error.
[edit]I got it again after posting too.

Raid presents a virtual drive to eraser. The data locations will be erased but the RAID disks may have been re-striping the data thus scattering information about the drives. The only 100% solution is to wipe the drives individually.

Garrett

Thank you garrett that all that was required so really eraser and raid are a not really worth doing i think i need to get a bigger single drive

Regards

Dor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back