Disk space from erased files not recovered after erasing

Teardrop

Dear all,

I have been using the last 4 versions of Eraser, but have noticed this problem only on the last 2 versions I have used, 5.86.1 and 5.84.

I have noticed that sometimes when I erase a large folder, the files it contains disappear from Windows explorer, and the erase report confirms that x numder of bytes were erased, however when I check the amount of free space in My Computer, not all of the space was recovered.

Today I erased 7.6GB of files. Before I started the task, My Computer reported 98.6GB free of 464GB. After the 7.6GB were erased, My Computer reports 99.1GB free rather than the expected 106GB free.

This problem happens only intermittently, about 3-4 times a week (I use Eraser about 2-3 times a day, normally without issue).

I wondered if any Temp files are being left on my system, but am unsure where to look. I have noticed this issue using both the right-click method and the On Demand pane of the program. I'm using Eraser 5.86.1 on Vista Home Premium, build 6000.

I'd be grateful if anyone has any suggestions, or if anyone has encountered this issue before and knows how to solve it.

With thanks,

David

They're in the system file history, used for the Previous versions feature. Space is never freed completely nowadays with NTFS and it being a journalled filesystem.

Joel

Dear Joel,

Thank you for your reply. You are absolutely right. I switched off Vista's System Restore and the missing 35GB I was chasing were recovered instantly. Eraser had been working perfectly all along. The issue was with Windows.

With thanks,

David

Back