erase slave drive

thaKing

i have a slave drive in my win2k machine...it has 3 partitions (X, Y, Z)...i think only one of the partitions has data on it (X)...the other two are empty...i'm wondering what is the best way to erase this drive? should i just erase folders or erase the entire drive?

That sort of depends on why you are eracing the drive. To sell or get rid of the drive or just re proportion the drive. If you plan on reusing the drive I would use Eracer to erace the existing files and then re install the OS. But if you are selling the drive or getting rid of it I would use Dban.

yes, i'm going to get rid of the drive....no OS, it is just a slave drive for data (and not much data at that)...do you still think i should use Dban?

Yes. I do. You want to wipe you Privite data before getting rid of it. A HD full of old files recently was sold at a auction and the orignal owner had been told the HD had been wiped and was contacted by the new owner that he had his HD with all of his files intact and if he would like it sent back or if he would like it wiped for him. The owner had the HD sent Back to him. So wiping the HD in that event is good for your privicy.

When You install Eraser, look under the Start/programs/Eraser it gives you the option of making a Nuke Boot Disk(floppy).

well what good are you? :lol: just kidding...thanks for the suggestion...maybe i'll just have to install and see if it will make a bootable CD...

Robbie said:
thaKing said:
buy i don't have a floppy drive, will it make a bootable CD?
there is a stand alone version of DBAN which enables you to run DBAN from CD (it's the version I use).

see

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

for everything you need.

just getting to this tonight (i'm slow, it takes me a long time to get around to things)...so, i've download the standalone to burn to a cd-r...now, let me ask you this, are there things i need to do to make sure i run this properly? i don't want to erase me C drive, just my slave drive...should i remove the primary drive and just leave in the slave drive so that i can insure the C drive will be intact? what exactly do i need to tell the program when i run it to make sure it erases everything on the slave drives?

thaKing said:
Robbie said:
thaKing said:
buy i don't have a floppy drive, will it make a bootable CD?
there is a stand alone version of DBAN which enables you to run DBAN from CD (it's the version I use).

see

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

for everything you need.

just getting to this tonight (i'm slow, it takes me a long time to get around to things)...so, i've download the standalone to burn to a cd-r...now, let me ask you this, are there things i need to do to make sure i run this properly? i don't want to erase me C drive, just my slave drive...should i remove the primary drive and just leave in the slave drive so that i can insure the C drive will be intact? what exactly do i need to tell the program when i run it to make sure it erases everything on the slave drives?
I think it might be best for you to ask the question over at the DBAN board. I only have one drive with 2 partitions, but I'm aware that DBAN recognises every drive but may not necessarily indicate which is which. As I'm not sure, I wouldn't like to give to the wrong advice!

The DBAN forum can be found at:

http://www.cipherserver.com/phpbb2/view ... 1ddad823a1

Back