Eraser 5.85 Beta 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel

why does it install C++ runtime everytime I install a new beta version?

Is it possible to improve installer that it only installs it when C++ runtime isn't installed ?

Hi Joel.

Thanks again for another Beta release of Eraser!

I made a fresh install of XP Pro SP2 (ghost image) before testing Eraser Beta 6. Everything works fine with this image.

Immediately after installing Eraser Beta 6 I got an error with another program I have installed called East Tec Eraser. I now get this error message when try to use it.

####
Application Error.

Exception x cannotcompiledef in module engine.dll at 000D9036

Cannot open file (0)
####

It would seem as if Eraser Beta 6 has damaged a file / DLL somewhere.

Also a couple of other points (not really bugs)

The default overwrite method for files is now the Gutmann 35 pass. I believe this is overkill for the default setting and I think it would be better to return to the Pseudorandom single pass as before.

Has the last pass with a random DLL been removed in this release ? If not could we have the option please ?

Thanks

:wink:

Nothing's changed except... 1 command line used to compile the program and 3 lines of code for the recycle bin. it is otherwise identical to beta 5.

The default "Erase" command was a duplicate of the single pseudorandom pass. People assume that they'll be prompted for a erase pass type but no that doesn't happen. There's no such thing as a "Default" erase pass for the recycle bin erase pass.

DLL removal... not yet.

Joel

Possibly ignore my bug report !

I think I have found the problem and it is probably me. It would seem that Eraser and East Tec Eraser both use the file extension .ers !!!

I am reloading my OS and will test more. Please don’t let this put anyone else off testing this Beta as I really do think it is me.

There's no such thing as a "Default" erase pass for the recycle bin erase pass.

I meant when a user first installs Eraser, as in the settings if left as standard for file erasing (not recycle bin) as found in the options / preferences.

Just reporting back to confirm that my original bug report is my fault, sorry for any confusion. :oops:

All seems ok for me now.
:)

Still, the reason for removal is because the user will see the Erase Recycle Bin command and assume he will be prompted (which he won't). It was there before Garrett added the various erasure techniques and is a remnant of the old code. I removed it because now the user is allowed to select from the list ANY type of erase and the old one-size-fits-all menu item has been superseded.

And the old Erase Recycle Bin menu item was never the "default" menu item (and I don't get your initial statement)

Joel

Hi Joel.

I will try to explain better. I am not talking about the recycle bin options.

When a user installs Eraser (fresh install) the default settings found in Edit/Preferences/Erasing/Files is currently set to Gutmann.

This would mean that a new inexperienced user will use the Gutmann method whenever they right click a “file” not the recycle bin. I believe this to be overkill for most users.

I am not objecting to the removal of the default erase command in the Recycle bin options. I am suggesting the default “Right click” on a file overwrite pattern should be a simple pseudorandom single pass.

Ah I get you now.

I personally feel for files Gutmann is the minimum requirement for any form of thorough erase. Even though this probably may not reflect the individual's preferences, I believe it is the safest for the general public.

I mean, I'm not objecting to changing that to be the default, but what does the community think?

For file erasure I just use 7-pass Schneier.

Joel

:D

As far as I can tell XP Pro SP2 etc all working ok !! I haven’t found a fault all day !

Well done Joel, any bugs you know of still left with 5.85 ?

Tried 5.85 Beta 6 on Vista x64. No context menus on Recycle bin or in Windows Explorer.

Noticed that a 32-bit installer was used and that Eraser installation defaulted to the C:\Program Files (x86) instead of C:\Program Files.

The .dll's appeared to have been properly installed into C:\Windows\Sysnative as they should be.

Hm. Ok. I wrote the installer but I assume Garrett tested it because I really don't have Vista x64. I'll try to look into it.

Joel

Eraser Verify

Bug in "Eraser: Verify" in the selection of file ...

After selecting "Browse", if you click with the right mouse button on any file or folder on the "Chose File / Folder" window you get an "Exception ACCESS_VIOLATION (0x0000005) at address 0x7820221d." and the aborting of application.

I understand that it is not a vital problem, but yet in beta ...

andreasm1982 said:
why does it install C++ runtime everytime I install a new beta version?

Is it possible to improve installer that it only installs it when C++ runtime isn't installed ?
Because the C++ runtime is one really large beast and Vista won't let anyone touch the native assembly cache. The only way to ensure that the runtime is always up to date is by making sure that the runtime is always installed.

Not as if installing it multiple times would cause any problems.

Joel

Re: Eraser Verify

retalv said:
Bug in "Eraser: Verify" in the selection of file ...

After selecting "Browse", if you click with the right mouse button on any file or folder on the "Chose File / Folder" window you get an "Exception ACCESS_VIOLATION (0x0000005) at address 0x7820221d." and the aborting of application.

I understand that it is not a vital problem, but yet in beta ...
I would believe then that the main Eraser application is affected to.

Please bug this.

Joel

FlyingHorse said:
Tried 5.85 Beta 6 on Vista x64. No context menus on Recycle bin or in Windows Explorer.

Noticed that a 32-bit installer was used and that Eraser installation defaulted to the C:\Program Files (x86) instead of C:\Program Files.

The .dll's appeared to have been properly installed into C:\Windows\Sysnative as they should be.
Please bug this.

It will help if you can tell me where these files have been installed to:

Eraserl.exe
Eraser.dll
Eraser.exe
Verify.exe
Erasext.dll

Joel

Joel said:
Please bug this.

It will help if you can tell me where these files have been installed to:

Eraserl.exe
Eraser.dll
Eraser.exe
Verify.exe
Erasext.dll

Give me some time to uninstall 5.84 and re-install 5.85 and I'll get your information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back