Eraser 5.86

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel

Thanks Joel ! :D

Well done, I am sure many people will be very grateful for your efforts here.

Unfortunately I am unable to download this version for some reason but I suspect this will sort itself out soon.

Is there a change log for 5.6 final compared to RC2 ?

Are there any known bugs in Eraser 5.6 Final ?

Thanks again.
:wink:

No changes. The final is just a re-versioning of RC2 save a few setup issues and an authenticode signature.

No bugs.... yet. Usually SF will take a few days for the files to propagate off their mirrors. Try others if you need it urgent.

Joel

Hi Joel.

Thank you for the information. I like the “No bugs.... yet.” :lol: Oh the joys of software development !

Also I forgot to mention the Eraser download page on this site needs updating, can you do that please Garrett ?

Thanks again Joel, good work ! :wink:

Hi Joel, I just wanted to thank you for the work and help you have been putting into this project recently. And also to the rest of the programmers and others who have been a help to this program.

Thanks to all you guys!

Is this a official version? On homepage, I still see 5.84 as last version on main page.

and downloading it is not possible...

Not Found

The requested URL /sourceforge/eraser/Eraser586_setup.exe was not found on this server.
Apache/2.2.6 (Unix) Server at heanet.dl.sourceforge.net Port 80

Hi andreasm1982 :)

I am really pleased you posted here as I was beginning to think I was the only one unable to download 5.6 !!

I have tried the following servers with no luck in downloading 5.6.

Ishikawa, Japan
Tainan, Taiwan

Sydney, Australia

Brussels, Belgium
Lausanne, Switzerland
Duesseldorf, Germany
Berlin, Germany
Dublin, Ireland
Bologna, Italy
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Kent, UK

San Jose, CA
Phoenix, AZ
Seattle, Washington
McLean, Virginia

Curitiba, Brazil

Strangely at the time of writing this I notice that Source Forge is stating that there have been 7024 downloads of Eraser 5.6 !!!

Has anyone actually been able to download Eraser 5.6 from Source Forge and if so how ! :lol:

Overwriter said:
Hi andreasm1982 :)

I am really pleased you posted here as I was beginning to think I was the only one unable to download 5.6 !!

I have tried the following servers with no luck in downloading 5.6.

Ishikawa, Japan
Tainan, Taiwan

Sydney, Australia

Brussels, Belgium
Lausanne, Switzerland
Duesseldorf, Germany
Berlin, Germany
Dublin, Ireland
Bologna, Italy
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Kent, UK

San Jose, CA
Phoenix, AZ
Seattle, Washington
McLean, Virginia

Curitiba, Brazil

Strangely at the time of writing this I notice that Source Forge is stating that there have been 7024 downloads of Eraser 5.6 !!!

Has anyone actually been able to download Eraser 5.6 from Source Forge and if so how ! :lol:
I saw this sunday night http://www.majorgeeks.com/Eraser_d4221.html, so I came here to see if 5.86 Final had been released. So I tryed to download if from Sourceforge, I couldn't download it. I thought they just hadn't put the file up yet. then I thought I could get Eraser from MajorGeeks, but the GPL said it was 5.86 on the first page..but on the second page it said Eraser 5.85? Beta realeased on June 8th. I would have reported it. But the trouble with Sourceforge could have been my compter. But now I see it is not only me. :eek:

I still can't get it to install on vista x64. I get the 14001 error. I have checked that I am installing the correct architecture. Please tell me how to fix this.

Your not alone...Eraser 5.86 will install, but when you go to open Eraser I get an error also with Vista 64....
eraser.jpg

PS Eraser 5.84 PORTABLE works well with Vista 64bit.
Maybe if you ask nice Overwriter will link it for you :wink:

NICK ADSL UK said:
Hi guys :)
It is available for download using this mirror
Downloading from the following mirror:

dfn.dl.sourceforge.net
( Berlin, Germany - Europe )

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=560078
I started to install the copy of Eraser from the link and this is from the GNU
Eraser 5.85 Beta 3(Oct 13 2007)

I installed this on my other computer and I did a freespace wipe, the erasing preferences for freespace was set on 1 pass sudorandom data. I do not know how far into the freespace wipe this happened because I set the wipe to run at night when I was a sleep. When I got up and turned on the monitor I got a black screenand there was a file in my Root directery C:\~ERAFSWD.TEMP, I pushed the reset button I got the startup screen. When I was back at the desktop I went to a command prompt and typed in chkdsk, it told me there were errors and /F (Fix) sufix was not used. I then Typed into the command prompt chkdsk/F and pressed the enter key....the screen went black again. So I did a system restore, and I am erasing C:\~ERAFSWD.TEMP with Eraser 5.7 as I type.

I started to install the copy of Eraser from the link and this is from the GNU
Eraser 5.85 Beta 3(Oct 13 2007)

I installed this on my other computer and I did a freespace wipe, the erasing preferences for freespace was set on 1 pass sudorandom data. I do not know how far into the freespace wipe this happened because I set the wipe to run at night when I was a sleep. When I got up and turned on the monitor I got a black screenand there was a file in my Root directery C:\~ERAFSWD.TEMP, I pushed the reset button I got the startup screen. When I was back at the desktop I went to a command prompt and typed in chkdsk, it told me there were errors and /F (Fix) sufix was not used. I then Typed into the command prompt chkdsk/F and pressed the enter key....the screen went black again. So I did a system restore, and I am erasing C:\~ERAFSWD.TEMP with Eraser 5.7 as I type.
the GNU
Eraser 5.85 Beta 3(Oct 13 2007)[/quote]

This has happened to me too i did have second thoughts when i read the GNU
Eraser 5.85 Beta 3(Oct 13 2007) ???

But thought this was an oversight Joel /overwriter can you please clarify for us thanks which files are which and why we are getting serious issues

regards

Dor

OKOK let me have a breather. I will (well, at least ATTEMPT to) reply... systematically.

andreasm1982 said:
Is this a official version? On homepage, I still see 5.84 as last version on main page.

and downloading it is not possible...
I don't have access to the main Eraser website. Partially because v5 was a little weird because Garrett was not really familiar with OSS projects (from what I've talked to him about, anyway) and certain things weren't done in the usual manner. The Website is the first bit. We'll be moving to the SF server for v6 development on. So to solve this, it'll require his input.

Overwriter said:

5.86, 5.6 was released eons ago.

Carver said:
I saw this sunday night http://www.majorgeeks.com/Eraser_d4221.html, so I came here to see if 5.86 Final had been released. So I tryed to download if from Sourceforge, I couldn't download it. I thought they just hadn't put the file up yet. then I thought I could get Eraser from MajorGeeks, but the GPL said it was 5.86 on the first page..but on the second page it said Eraser 5.85? Beta realeased on June 8th. I would have reported it. But the trouble with Sourceforge could have been my compter. But now I see it is not only me. :eek:
What is the GPL? The GPL is the GNU General Public License? huh? What does the GPL have to do with Eraser being 5.86?

BTW. All Eraser official releases are done with an Authenticode signature. I believe Garrett does not release this anywhere else except SourceForge, so if other download sites have it, I'd be a little suspicious (Garrett check me on this one.) Like I said, OSS seldom publish anywhere except the project servers (SF already has like ~15 mirrors to download from?)

NICK ADSL UK said:
Hi guys :)
It is available for download using this mirror
Downloading from the following mirror:

dfn.dl.sourceforge.net
( Berlin, Germany - Europe )
Thanks Nick. Hope you can stay and provide feedback (being an MVP you should know stuff well :p)

hqdub said:
I still can't get it to install on vista x64. I get the 14001 error. I have checked that I am installing the correct architecture. Please tell me how to fix this.
and
Blewby said:
Your not alone...Eraser 5.86 will install, but when you go to open Eraser I get an error also with Vista 64....

PS Eraser 5.84 PORTABLE works well with Vista 64bit.
Maybe if you ask nice Overwriter will link it for you :wink:
I don't run Vista x64 (I want to though). Garrett does so you'd have to PM him to get a fix (and/or potion! [lame reference to asterix and obelix :)])

And after reading the whole thread the "GPL" you guys seem to be referring to is more like the "Readme" document. Well TBH I'm not a person who does documentation well... so that thing has been sorta left behind. But don't worry the version you see when you install (This program will install Eraser 5.xx...) is correct.

Joel

Joel actually I don't know how Majorgeeks got it(I presume you gave them a copy). I only downloaded Eraser 5.86 from them when I couldn't get a copy of Eraser 5.86 from Sorceforge, That was before Nick ADSL UK steped in with a different Mirror. It was the copy of Eraser 5.86 from Majorgeeks that damaged my computer and it was Nick ADSL UKs link tha I obtained that carried the same Beta identification in the licence. This should be changed, how could anyone who download a copy of Eraser 5.86 tell the 5.85 Beta like the one that dammanged my computer from a final 5.86. The copy that dammaged my computer and the copy of Eraser 5.86 from the link that Nick ADSL UK are all labled 5.86 file number and 5.85 Beta on the licence. Very confusing, how does on tell a good copy of Eraser 5.86 from a bad copy of Eraser 5.86 with our running the risk of destroying your computer by using the bad copy.

That's the problem. It's hard to check the authenticity of the code. I can't think of any way to ensure that the download you got is from us.

Joel

small hint: The Information in installation dialog still says:

----------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: This version uses a new installer system. You MUST remove
ALL EARLIER VERSIONS before installing this Beta. When installing
an earlier stable build, UNINSTALL the Beta first.
Eraser 5.85 Beta 3 (Oct 13th 2007)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back