Eraser 5.87-beta 1 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel

Eraser 5.87 beta 1 is released. The download (unified x86 and x64) is at http://eraser.sourceforge.net/Eraser587-beta1_setup.exe.

A few things to note:
  • x64 has NOT been tested. This means that previously reported bugs in x64 may or may not have been fixed (may be fixed as a consequence of other bugs? I don't know)
  • The changes which apply are in the readme file displayed in the installer
  • Most importantly, support for Windows 98 has been restored
People ask for hashes?
  • MD5: fb4f4b75340dca1212bb7f050043af40
  • SHA-1: 71c0f1dd504b6ad8ecb64cecef5eba885630f480
  • SHA-256: f53f81fc0f42125a7b56eaa72b039e9f33058a2fd8d8c0ff683cd39f2e8c87e8
  • WHIRLPOOL: 6699d3bae5b619c4848123a14ac702ffeb45da6a3e94cdbc328eae0a5574d4991b13af0f53f92ec9faa182e7e3ba873e73157d0a678e0263003c695f0e56276f
Do post bugs regarding this release here, and bug them only when explicitly asked to.

Enjoy!

Joel

Joel...

Not sure if you remember my previous posts on Vista 64 where upon launching my computer said "Eraser.dll" not found. Well....

I want to let you know...THIS PROGRAM WORKS on my Vista64!!!!! (yes I yelled it out).

I read where you stated
x64 has NOT been tested. This means that previously reported bugs in x64 may or may not have been fixed (may be fixed as a consequence of other bugs? I don't know)
But I thought what the heck I will give it a go and let you know either way...and bod a-bing...it actually launched!!!

Thanks for the beta update...whatever you did is perfect! :D

PS...I also like the fact that Eraser has an 'optional' Recycle Bin options.

Decided that if hashes were asked... I might as well be paranoid and do a WHIRLPOOL XD

Joel

I still have the problem with the combined installer where on the install screen both 32 and 64 are selected and greyed out and upon install only the 32bit files are in the windows directory. I'm using x64 WinXP sp2.

Also the issue I have where having "Alternate Data Streams" turned on causes locked file dialogues when attempting to delete single files persists(this is a bug I've had for a long time, took me a while to figure out what was causing it).

(I compiled from svn and edited the reg entry to point to system32 instead of syswow64 to test)

@Rein is there a way for me to create ADSes to test the Eraser code? I've not seen any AFAIK and it'd be good to have some to test the eraser code.

Joel

no context menus

Hi Joel sorry but after testing i do not seem to have any context menus on right click using vista x64

Regards

Dor :D

- Schedlog.txt will always be kept in the local Application Data
folder.
- Fixed shutdown issues after erase for NT-based computers.
- Fixed erasure of recycle bin contents when the erase was cancelled.
- Fixed Windows 98 compatibility.
- Fixed error checking when querying for elevation.
- Renamed Verify.exe to Erschk.exe. Resolved #418558.
- Fixed the VC2005 redistributable being extracted over each other.
when both x86 and x64 builds are selected for install.
- Fixed command line error when -silent was passed to EraserL.

Joel

I don't have right click context menus for Vista x64 on both 32 and 64 bit applications. I don't think that separate COM entries are being made. I use a few applications that have separate entries, one for 32-bit and the other for 64-bit and their context menus show up in both 32 and 64 bit applications.

The only program I can think of that uses AltDS is(or was I haven't used it in ages) Kaspersky antivirus. You could make them by hand you just pipe the data in something like "type datafile.pdf>targetfile.txt:data.pdf" at least thats the kind of example I've seen and it seems to work.

The issue I have with locked files when the option is active is not a factor of the actual alternate data streams as it locks on files that don't have them and on files that do.

For the recycle bin, one cannot select the optional pass multiply amount. I would like to be able to configure this! So now, if you use the pseudorandom data option, it will just be 1pass.

TOOOO many recycle bin options

TOTALLY agree with Txv2 - we don't need multiple eraser options on the recycle bin. Just keep it to whatever the user chooses as the default in setup. Thanks for listening.

Re: TOOOO many recycle bin options

gbjennings said:
TOTALLY agree with Txv2 - we don't need multiple eraser options on the recycle bin. Just keep it to whatever the user chooses as the default in setup. Thanks for listening.

I quite like all the options, but then again I am a bit of a geek ! :lol:

Good Point

OK, I understand your point, but at least give the user a choice of what to include in the recycle bin (in setup), then everyone is happy. ;-)

In addition, one more tweak I would love to see is a 'stealth mode' of erasing from the context menu, e.g., allow experienced users to bypass the 'confirm erasing' screen. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back