Eraser 6.0.8.2273 occupied a lot of memory while wiping...

usoferaser

Eraser 6.0.8.2273 occupied a lot of memory while wiping unused space of hard disk! And windows close it, that's why it could not finish the task .
6 385 144 Kb of Virtual Memory and 3 165 452 Kb of Physical Memory!
YVwSFET1.png

Re: Eraser 6.0.8.2273 occupied a lot of memory while wiping.

You'll see other threads on this topic. There is undoubtedly a problem for some users, but whether it is always the same problem, I'm not sure.

What cannot be causing the problem is the code. This is because Eraser uses .NET, which handles all memory management for applications that use it, so there is no memory management code in the Eraser executables as such. If the background Eraser process is taking up a lot of memory (mine, on Windows 7 x64, uses about 19 MB), suspicion then falls on your .NET installation.

If the idle process is not unduly memory hungry, there is one issue, which is more of program design than coding, which may apply to you. Eraser holds the Task List file in memory, and saves it only when the task completes or the Eraser window is closed. The Task List contains the current task log, and this can get very long with a free space erase of the System (C:) drive, because the log contains an entry for each of the thousands of system files that cannot have their cluster tips erased. It is easy to check whether this is using up available memory by un-checking the option to have cluster tips erased when you create the task. If the task then runs satisfactorily, the Task List is almost certainly the problem. At the very least, it is worth clearing the logs of free space erase tasks.

David

What can I do to finish my tasks "wipe unused disk space"?

What Framework version does Eraser use(compiled with)? Is it 2.0?

usoferaser said:
What can I do to finish my tasks "wipe unused disk space"?
As in the 3rd paragraph of my last post - don't erase the cluster tips. This does not compromise security to a significant extent for most people.

usoferaser said:
What Framework version does Eraser use(compiled with)? Is it 2.0?
Eraser uses .NET 3.5. Version 4 is also backwards compatible.

David

As in the 3rd paragraph of my last post - don't erase the cluster tips. This does not compromise security to a significant extent for most people.
But if I need to erase cluster tips how can I set up .NET Framework that it worked properly and garbage collection could work properly?

May be next code helps to solve the problem?
Code:
GC::Collect();
GC::WaitForPendingFinalizers () ;

How I can say it to the developers of "Eraser"?

I have a bad news(for me). I ran the task to wipe unused space without "erase cluster tips" option and I get the same result! Eraser took a lot of memory and I got "out of resources".

Just to check, please delete the Task List; details of how to do this are in the FAQ topic 'Common Eraser Questions'. Then, re-start Eraser. If you still have problems, do the following.

Use Task Manager to check how much memory Eraser is using when idle; open Task Manager, and click on the Performance tab. Leave it open for all tests. Then, do a test erase of actual files, and see if you get the same results. . Please tell what results you get, so that Joel can do a diagnosis

Without other information, my guess is that you have a problem with your .NET installation. If it were the Eraser code (though, as I said, I don't know how it could be), the chances are that we'd all be getting this problem.

David

DavidHB said:
Just to check, please delete the Task List; details of how to do this are in the FAQ topic 'Common Eraser Questions'. Then, re-start Eraser.
I still have problems, have done the above you wrote.

Use Task Manager to check how much memory Eraser is using when idle; open Task Manager, and click on the Performance tab. Leave it open for all tests. Then, do a test erase of actual files, and see if you get the same results. . Please tell what results you get, so that Joel can do a diagnosis

1. Wiping file. All is ok.
030411155633.png

2. Wiping free disk space without erase cluster tips on disk 1. Total memory occupied more than 1GB! It begins not at once and rises gradually. But it finished the task.
030411160236.png

030411160315.png

030411160351.png

030411160418.png

3. Wiping free disk space without erase cluster tips on disk 2. Total memory occupied more than 7GB! It begins not at once and rises gradually. And it could not finish the task because "out of resources".
030411160744.png

030411160826.png

030411160847.png

030411160903.png

030411160931.png

030411160933.png

030411160948.png

030411160951.png

030411160958.png

030411161019.png

030411161120.png

030411161203.png

030411161207.png

030411161300.png

030411161322.png

030411161335.png

030411161357.png

030411161421.png

Without other information, my guess is that you have a problem with your .NET installation. If it were the Eraser code (though, as I said, I don't know how it could be), the chances are that we'd all be getting this problem.

I have Windows 7 professional with latest updates and all .NET Framework was install with Windows and Windows Update:

netframeworks.png

What problems with my .NET installation could be?

It helps to know that just Erasing free space is causing the problem. I don't recall that we have seen exactly these symptoms before. By way of comparison, on my quad core Windows 7 machine with 8GB of RAM, memory usage during a free space erase (which runs without problems) is about 1.05GB, and CPU usage is 1% to 4%, with spikes of very short duration going up to 20%. As we know that free space erasing moves a great deal of data, these figures do not surprise me.

1 I'm afraid that I'm reaching the end of my direct knowledge on this one; I hope that Joel will soon contribute his thoughts. Subject to those, logic still points me in the direction of .NET, but it is such a complex beast that specific issues are hard to pin down. What we do know at the very least is that in your system it is clearly not controlling application memory usage as it is supposed to do.

If .NET has been installed and updated with Windows, there is often no uninstall entry in the 'Programs and Features'. But you can install a manually downloaded build of .NET on top of the one already there, and this will create an uninstall entry, allowing you to uninstall and reinstall .NET in the usual way. If you do a registry clean (e.g. with CCleaner) between the uninstall and the reinstall, that increases the chance of removing any problems that may be lurking in your system.

One other thought. Try disabling your antivirus while the free space erase is running. Does that make a difference?

David

DavidHB said:
By way of comparison, on my quad core Windows 7 machine with 8GB of RAM, memory usage during a free space erase (which runs without problems) is about 1.05GB, and CPU usage is 1% to 4%, with spikes of very short duration going up to 20%. As we know that free space erasing moves a great deal of data, these figures do not surprise me.
This is too much! Do you disagree, David? Why it needs so much memory and this is without erase cluster tips. Why it can't erase clusters tips direct with no-buffering IO?

DavidHB said:
If .NET has been installed and updated with Windows, there is often no uninstall entry in the 'Programs and Features'. But you can install a manually downloaded build of .NET on top of the one already there, and this will create an uninstall entry, allowing you to uninstall and reinstall .NET in the usual way.
What .NET Framework version I must install manually?

DavidHB said:
One other thought. Try disabling your antivirus while the free space erase is running. Does that make a difference?
I'll try and will write you here.

usoferaser said:
This is too much! Do you disagree, David? Why it needs so much memory and this is without erase cluster tips. Why it can't erase clusters tips direct with no-buffering IO
If you mean that the memory usage on my machine is too much, no, I don't think so. I should have made it clear that the memory usage I was quoting was the total, including everything running in the background (antivirus etc.). I forget the Eraser proportion of that, but it wasn't huge. The reason I quoted the total figure was to compare with the 5GB+ figures that were apparent from your screenshots. Unless I've missed something, discrepancies like that point to an installation issue of some sort. And, as the Eraser code does not manage memory, attention has to turn to .NET.

usoferaser said:
What .NET Framework version I must install manually?

David

I was running into the same thing...windows 7 pro 64bit...eraser was using over 700megs of memory when it first started...

I re-installed .net framework and then installed the 6.1 version of eraser and it appears to be back to normal. My framework version is now 4.0.30319 and the eraser I did is 6.1.0.2278

Thank you for this information, which tends to confirm what I was saying. Unfortunately, things are rarely as straightforward as they seem ...

David

Before I read the thread again and come up with hypotheses I need to set a few things straight:

1. Eraser uses .NET Framework 3.5.
  2. .NET 3.5 is not backwards-compatible with 3.0 and 2.0. However, 2.0 and 3.0 is forwards-compatible with 3.5 (there Is a difference: think about it. 3.5 code will not run with 3.0 or 2.0, BUT 2.0 will run on 3.0, 3.0 will run on 3.5.)
  3. .NET 4.0 is not backwards-compatible with 3.5, nor is 3.5 3.0 and 2.0 forwards-compatible with 4.0. i.e. 4.0 is independent on 3.5 3.0 and 2.0

Hope this clarifies things. I am quite sure this is a memory management problem with .NET as David has mentioned, .NET manages memory for us. GC::Collect and GC::WaitForPendingFinalisers are called by the Framework. There's a separate thread in the forum which also details high memory consumption AND many threads. I'll deal with both of these situations together.

I just tried to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on my Windows 7 x64. It could not install, begins and then close the setup program automatically.
In dotNet35SP1Readme.htm there is info:
1.2. Supported Operating Systems
Microsoft Windows XP
Microsoft Windows Server 2003
Windows Vista
Windows Server 2008

So, there is no support for Windows 7 directly. And if your program based on .NET Framework 3.5 it can't properly work on Windows 7!

For Windows 7 you must use .NET 4.0.

Windows 7 comes out of the box with .NET 3.5. You'll need to go to Programs and Features to uninstall and reinstall .NET 3.5 for Windows 7.

It would be a nightmare if .NET 3.5 didn't work on Windows 7 ;)

Joel said:
Windows 7 comes out of the box with .NET 3.5.
My comes with 4.0 :)
0847fa37.png

Joel said:
You'll need to go to Programs and Features to uninstall and reinstall .NET 3.5 for Windows 7.
There is no any .NET Frameworks in <Programs and Features> except for .NET 4.0. There is a checkbox for .NET 3.5 in Windows Components and it is checked.

Joel said:
It would be a nightmare if .NET 3.5 didn't work on Windows 7 ;)
For Windows 7 .NET 4.0 is default.

To reinstall 3.5, uncheck that checkbox, apply changes and re-check and apply changes.

BTW all your imageshack uploads are unaccessible from where I am

Back