Eraser 6.09.2343 stuck at "old resident files stsyem table f

nebrhahe

Hi. I am new to the forum and just downloaded 6.09.2343 (latest stable version). My system is Windows Vista Pro 32 bit.
After starting free space wipe, the program worked well (except that it won't erase cluster tips) until it got to old resident file system table files-it has now been running for 24 hrs straight at 90% complete and is clearly unable to continue.
I did see some old posts from last year on this topic, but no solutions that I could find. I am using default write.
I uploaded screen captures of the messages I see.
Please help!!

Thanks!

Attachments

• Eraser problem.pptx
    154 KB · Views: 85
Re: Eraser 6.09.2343 stuck at "old resident files system tab

Welcome to the forum. And thanks for doing the research before you posted.

You are correct in saying that we do get reports of this type. Unfortunately, the behaviour appears to be, at least to some extent, system dependent; personally, I have never been able to reproduce it.

When you say that Eraser "won't erase cluster tips", can I take it that you are getting a lot of log entries to that effect, particularly if you are erasing free space on Drive C:? If so, that is known and well understood behaviour which is a function of Windows. Whether the log should record things in the way that it does is the subject of separate discussion.

Coming back to you main problem, I think it is time to stop the erase if you have not already done so. It will be useful to know whether Eraser exits gracefully at that point. It might then be sensible to run a disk check, to ensure that we are dealing with a file system in good order. If the disk check (which, for Drive C:, will run on reboot) reports that errors have been fixed, try running the free space erase again (if it stops at the same point, you don't need to wait another full 24 hours!). Also, on this occasion, try closing any running programs and pausing or closing your antivirus, to see if that makes any difference.

If you still have problems, we may need to do some experiments, unless Joel can identify the issue straight away.

When you post again, it would be also helpful to know what kind of machine you are running, how much RAM it has and how much hard drive free space you are trying to erase.

David

Re: Eraser 6.09.2343 stuck at "old resident files stsyem tab

Hi David:

Thanks for the quick reply. Since my 1st post I decided to do a little research on another machine at work (can you tell I'm an engineer :))

My work machine is a Lenovo T420 using Windows7 OS and Kaspersky firewall/antivirus
It has a .5 TB hard drive of which 110GB is free space and 4GB RAM. It is also a 64bit machine.

I downloaded the same Eraser version I am having trouble with on my home machine, ran it, and guess what..it ran to 90% and then got stuck at exactly the same place as on the home machine.

The home machine is a Dell Dimension DXP061 with 2GB RAM, 250GB HD of which 147GB is free space. It uses 32bit Windows Vista Pro and Norton firewall/antivirus.

So basically almost everything is different, yet the same error occurs in the same place.

Coming back to your main problem, I think it is time to stop the erase if you have not already done so. It will be useful to know whether Eraser exits gracefully at that point.

It does not exit gracefully-I get the error shown in the uploaded PP document on the home machine. Interestingly at work it did exit gracefully.
(a problem has caused the program to stop working correctly).

It might then be sensible to run a disk check, to ensure that we are dealing with a file system in good order. If the disk check (which, for Drive C:, will run on reboot) reports that errors have been fixed, try running the free space erase again (if it stops at the same point, you don't need to wait another full 24 hours!).

No errors on reboot

Also, on this occasion, try closing any running programs and pausing or closing your antivirus, to see if that makes any difference.

I have disabled antivirus protection, though not the firewall and will try to run again.

Also I noticed on my work machine that when the program was running and stuck at the 90% mark, the computer free space was almost all gone (452 GB used 4MB free). Don;t know if this is because of the overwriting or if this may be a symptom of the problem.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Attachments

• Eraser quit.pptx
    61.7 KB · Views: 62

OK-reran eraser with antivirus off-no joy. Still gets stuck at 90% complete. Interestingly now I do not get the file system message..instead, it just stops at 90%-wow, this is a very strange problem. I also got an error message that I was running very low on free disk space..no joke..its being overwritten. Is this why the program crashes at 90% written? If so, how can I get the disk 100% overritten when I run out of more disk space as the program progresses-that's what happened on my work computer too.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Eraser error 3.pptx
    226.3 KB · Views: 48

The problem with the machine crashing and/or freezing when disk space gets low has long been an issue with all versions. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have a single cause and the likelihood of it occurring seems to vary between machines (and/or between Windows installations).

Over time, Joel has put in a lot of work both to eliminate possible triggers and in getting Eraser to persuade Windows to allow it to allow the drive to be filled. The problem seems to arise now much less than before; I haven't seen it happen with either 6.0.9 or the more recent 6.1 development builds. If that is your problem (and it rather looks as though it could be), you seem to have been particularly unfortunate to have it happen on two different machines. Unless there is a setting that you have applied to both which affects the issue, but I haven't the faintest idea what such a setting could be.

Before proceeding any further, do check that the target drives are not still filled up with Eraser's deleting files. The FAQ provide information on how to identify them; you then just delete (not erase) them.

My only suggestion on the main problem is that, on one of your machines, you uninstall Eraser 6.0.9, reboot, and download and install a recent 6.1 build (2617 is the latest published build, and is probably as good as any). Before you run the task on the new build, go to the Eraser settings pane, and enable the Black Box crash recorder plugin. Then save the settings, and close and reopen Eraser before trying again. That way, if you still get a problem, we do at least have crash report data.

David

OK-on my work machine, I followed the suggestions-uninstalled old eraser, rebooted-removed the files from C drive,downloaded 6.1 2417 ran as adminisraator,,and it worked!.

The files tool up all but 17GB if 1 500gb HD but the program finished and the files were removed.
It seems as if the overwritten files take up too much HD space. isn't there a way to zip these files so that they don't use up all the HD capacity?

Unfortunately, when I tried the same thing on my home machine I got the error "To run this application, you must first install one of the following versions of the .NET framework V4.0.30319. Nothing I do gets me past this point-I uninstall/reboot, and reinstall and get the same error-in fact the NET framework does not reload as it did the 1st time I tried to download the new version-I am stuck on the home computer-any ideas?

Thanks!

More info. I have removed the .net (which was V4)-I also had 3.5 as well, redownloaded and rebooted, and still get the error messages in the attachment.
Basically it seems as if the .net v4 is not working on my machine-any ideas?
On bootup, three error messages show up-sprtcmd.exe, eraser.exe and TWCapp.exe need .net v4.0.30319, but I think this is installed and is not running-removing and rebooting do not work.
Is there a 32 bit version of this app-the only one I could find was 64 bit.

Re: Eraser 6.09.2343 stuck at "old resident files system tab

I agree with your diagnosis about .NET (or perhaps about its installer). I have found a link to a cleanup tool, which you could perhaps use (or search yourself on 'how to remove .NET 4'). I could not of course test the product, so cannot judge its effectiveness.

If you have been trying to install a 64 bit version of .NET 4 on a 32 bit machine, that pretty much guarantees problems. I have found what appears to be a link to a 32 bit installer here. Do fully uninstall the wrong version (and reboot) before you attempt to install the correct one; the removal tool might be useful for this purpose, but try the uninstaller (if there is one) first.

As far as I know, your separate installation of .NET 3.5 should not be affected by, or affect, any problems you are having with .NET 4.

David

Wait - you installed 6.0.9 but it asked you for .NET 4?

For your original question, you said that running the unused space erase will cause Eraser to hit 90%, but looking at Explorer, your drive still has got 17GB free? Did I understand that correctly?

Wait - you installed 6.0.9 but it asked you for .NET 4?

I originally installed 6.09 on both my home and work machines..different operating stsyems, computers etc. I used 6.09 because that was the latest stable version.
On both home and work machines, I got to 90% erased and then the system crashed at the old resident files system table-no matter how long I waited, nothing else would happen. By looking at the free space available it seemed apparent to me that the HD ran out of space, and the overwritten files keep taking up space until the erase finishes. Seems like if the files could be erased without the system thinking they needed to be reerased that would solve the problem

For your original question, you said that running the unused space erase will cause Eraser to hit 90%, but looking at Explorer, your drive still has got 17GB free? Did I understand that correctly?

I was then advised to use the lastest beta version-6.1 something. This worked on my work machine..there was still 17GB free when the program finished and all the files were auto erased.
However, on my home machine (Vista) when I installed the beta version something corrupted my OS. I now get the message that I need .NET4.01319 to run this progrem. problem is I have that and somehow the systen doesn't know it or it gets corrupted.
I have uninstalled, fixed the files based on the .NET forum, reinstalled and succeeded in getting the new version on and operational-when I reboot the system as I need to do, it gets corrupted again-with or without Eraser on the system.
This did not happen before I put the beta version on the system however. Below is some back and forth from the .NET forum:

The installation succeeded:

"Final Result: Installation completed successfully with success code: (0x80070BC2), "The requested operation is successful. Changes will not be effective until the system is rebooted. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:03:29)."

If rebooting your system corrupts the .NET Framework every time, you should consider reinstalling your OS.

Reverify corruption:

First, please check the integrity of your .NET Framework 4.0 installation with this tool:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archiv ... 99004.aspx

Run the tool with .NET 4.0 selected, then post the first 15 lines and last 15 lines of output here.

If the test app failed again (last 15 lines), consider reinstalling your OS.

As before-failed after reboot-dont understand how a reboot can do this. To reinstall OS will lose all info correct? Can I try to fix what is wrong and if so, how?

1st 15 lines

04/23/12,20:28:37] Beginning of new SetupVerifier activity logging session
[04/23/12,20:28:37] Activity log file location: C:\Users\THEHEN~1\AppData\Local\Temp\setupverifier_main_04-23-12_20.28.37.txt
[04/23/12,20:28:37] Error log file location: C:\Users\THEHEN~1\AppData\Local\Temp\setupverifier_errors_04-23-12_20.28.37.txt
[04/23/12,20:28:37] Build created on December 29, 2011
[04/23/12,20:28:37] Detected operating system: Windows Vista (x86)
[04/23/12,20:28:37] Install state for .NET Framework 1.0: not installed.
[04/23/12,20:28:37] Install state for .NET Framework 1.1: not installed.
[04/23/12,20:28:37] Install state for .NET Framework 2.0: installed with service pack 2.
[04/23/12,20:28:37] Install state for .NET Framework 3.0: installed with service pack 2.
[04/23/12,20:28:37] Install state for .NET Framework 3.5: not installed.
[04/23/12,20:28:37] Install state for .NET Framework 4 Client: installed with no service packs.
[04/23/12,20:28:37] Install state for .NET Framework 4 Full: installed with no service packs.
[04/23/12,20:28:37] Not adding product '.NET Framework 1.0' because it is not currently installed
[04/23/12,20:28:37] Not adding product '.NET Framework 1.1' because it is not currently installed
[04/23/12,20:28:37] Not adding product '.NET Framework 1.1 SP1' because it is not currently installed
[04/23/12,20:28:37] Not adding product '.NET Framework 2.0' because it is not currently installed
[04/23/12,20:28:37] Not adding product '.NET Framework 2.0 SP1' because it is not currently installed
[04/23/12,20:28:37] Not adding product '.NET Framework 3.0' because it is not currently installed
[04/23/12,20:28:37] Not adding product '.NET Framework 3.0 SP1' because it is not currently installed
[04/23/12,20:28:37] Not adding product '.NET Framework 3.5' because it is not currently installed
[04/23/12,20:28:37] Not adding product '.NET Framework 3.5 SP1' because it is not currently installed
[04/23/12,20:28:43] Starting verification for product .NET Framework 4 Full
[04/23/12,20:28:43] Section [Files - .NET Framework 4 Client (Common)] - start parsing entries

Last 15 lines

[04/23/12,20:29:01] Section [Registry - .NET Framework 4 Full (Common)] - stop parsing entries
[04/23/12,20:29:02] Section [Registry - .NET Framework 4 Full (32-bit)] - start parsing entries
[04/23/12,20:29:02] Section [Registry - .NET Framework 4 Full (32-bit)] - stop parsing entries
[04/23/12,20:29:02] Not running action 'Registry - .NET Framework 4 Full (64-bit)' for product '.NET Framework 4 Full' because the OS condition does not match
[04/23/12,20:29:02] Not running action 'Registry - .NET Framework 4 Full (Wow6432Node)' for product '.NET Framework 4 Full' because the OS condition does not match
[04/23/12,20:29:02] Processing custom action 'Custom Action - .NET Framework 4.0 test application'
[04/23/12,20:29:02] ExecutablePath = 'Netfx40TestApplication.exe'
[04/23/12,20:29:02] FriendlyName = '.NET Framework 4 test application'
[04/23/12,20:29:02] TimeoutSeconds = '300'
[04/23/12,20:29:02] WaitOnExit = 'true'
[04/23/12,20:29:02] Silent = 'true'
[04/23/12,20:29:02] Launching process 'Netfx40TestApplication.exe' now
[04/23/12,20:29:02] Process successfully launched. Waiting 300 seconds for it to complete.
[04/23/12,20:29:02] ****ERROR**** Process 'Netfx40TestApplication.exe' exited with return code -2146232576
[04/23/12,20:29:02] ****ERROR**** Verification failed for product .NET Framework 4 Full

The corruption occurs on reboot because your OS is corrupt.

For best suggestions on repairing/reinstalling Vista, ask here:

It does seem as though your .NET installation is corrupt. I don't recommend you stick to Eraser 6.1 yet, so perhaps sticking to Eraser 6.0.9 would be better. The only way to fix the problem with .NET would be a OS reinstall, I'm afraid.

Eraser 6.2 should not clean MFT records if your disk is not full (this is required by Eraser before erasure is successful) so maybe it is because of observational delay?

Back