Eraser 6.1.0.1858 & windows 7 H.P. 64, unused errors galore!

jaeb0922

i am using windows 7 home premium 64 bit. i installed Eraser 6.1.0.1858 and set the shortcut to always run as admin and i have deleted the corrupt recycle bin as i have since i have had win 7. for some reason, the unused disc space erase always runs for about a minute and returns with HUNDREDS of errors. is there a way to id this? the tool seems useless if not able to run the unused erase

i uninstalled, rebooted, reg cleaned, deleted folder from app data, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted, still same issue. y was it working before on this laptop but now since my reformat its not? what am i missing?

erasing the recycle bin gets this error also

Session: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:11:06 PM
Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:11:06 PM Information Session started
Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:11:06 PM Error Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:11:06 PM Error Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:11:07 PM Information Session ended

im running it as admin so im lost. still....

Do all those errors relate to files in the Recycle Bin (as far as you can tell)? Eraser cannot (nothing can) access the system files in the Recycle Bin. You have to delete the whole folder, then wipe the free space on the drive.

I have copied the following advice on removing a corrupt Recycle Bin in Windows 7 from another forum

There is a hidden recycle bin folder for every drive.

You can delete the corrupted one by typing the following into an elevated command prompt

rd /s /q D:\$Recycle.bin

Where D is the letter of the drive you want to delete it from

Did you try anything like this?

David

i go to COMMAND and type in rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin (as my recycle is on C drive) and it tells me ACCESS IS DENIED. am i doing this wrong? what i did before is go and make my files UNHIDDEN and uncheck the "hide protected system files" and the search for the bin... once found id delete it.... thats what joel told me to do MONTHS ago and seemed to work ok. not so much this time. like i said not even "wipe unused space" is working

I grant you that it's tricky, and, as I don't have your problem, I can't completely reproduce the steps. But here goes.

If you run a command prompt, you need to run it 'elevated', that is as an Administrator; right click on the icon in the Start Menu (or wherever) and select 'run as administrator'. The Delete command then runs, but returns no report, so I don't know whether it works or not. Windows will replace the folder, but if it then only contains a few small files all is well. Unfortunately, the Dir on the Command prompt then doesn't show the folder ...

To see the folder, you need to go to Control Panel|Folder options, and enable viewing of protected system files. Windows will protest: proceed anyway; you can (and probably should) change back the setting later. In the C: drive, you should then be able to see, check the properties of and (if need be) delete the $Recycle.Bin and Recycled folders; there will be one or more permissions prompts. Then put an odd file in the Recycle Bin and empty it normally, Then check the properties of the folder to see what it contains.

As I said, no guarantees. But see how you go.

David

i reformatted again and deleted the recycle bin as u said to with the admin CMD. the unused disc space space still has all the same errors tho. i right clicked the shortcut and set the link to run as an admin ALL THE TIME so im not sure why this is happening. does 5.8.8 run well on 7? wht do i do here? im lost

You can try 5.8.8, but it may not co-exist well with Windows 7. Whatever you do, remove all traces of Eraser 6 from your filesystem and Registry before you try to install 5.x, and run it 'elevated'.

If your drive is safe to format, I'd try using a third party tool to remove the partition, and reinstall. But, as it is your system drive, that seems an unlikely option.

David

im going to try 5.8.8. im new to deleting partitions. i know i have a secret partition wth the recovery on here along with the primary. not so sure about how to do all this so cause u fill me in alittle? i love :D to learn! lol

well the newst nightly build of the "5" worked fine without errors on the recycle bin. erasing unused space came back with the same errors. tons of system files it seems. any clue?

You used 6.1.0, which is a nightly build from the 6.2 (i.e. trunk) branch, which is REALLY volatile and may not work for weeks on end. It's a risk which users implicitly undertake that the code won't work -- it's "nightly" for a reason!

Use either a stable release, or if it doesn't work, at most the 6.0 branch, which is volatile (still) but less so than the 6.2 branch.

i used the last stable build 6.0.6 i think it is. it seems to erase the recyle bin ok but unused space is def a problem. tons of errors. any help again? :wink:

If you get "access is denied" errors when doing cluster tip erasures it's normal. Eraser cannot erase the cluster tips of files in use by the system.

It seems pretty normal then. The exact error occurred should be seen in the task log though. So if it's okay for you then it's fine.

there is tons of them thats for sure. they seem to be sysem32 files and other system files. this is normal to see those errors?

jaeb0922 said:
there is tons of them that's for sure. they seem to be sysem32 files and other system files. This is normal to see those errors?
'Normal' is a bit of a variable quantity ...

Anything the OS has locked cannot have its cluster tips erased. This will be the case with running programs, processes, services and drivers. It is good practice to try and shut down anything that doesn't have to be running (including, for example antivirus programs and anything initiated at startup) before you do a free space erase; just don't shut down the Eraser process! This not only gives Eraser the best chance of accessing the files; it also removes competition for system resources.

My guess is that most if not all your 'errors' are normal. I'm trying to persuade Joel that there is a difference between an error which is a fact of life and an error that indicates a program malfunction, and that it would be a really good thing if Eraser could tell us which was which. :?

David

it would be nice if it could tell us th difference in errors i agree. maybe something new for the next build?

Back