Eraser 6.2.0.2979 fills in all free space on internal HDD

Richard Miller

Need help please. I am giving a desktop to a charity and ran Eraser 6.2.0.2979 after I deleted all the private information. 250GB hard drive was only 60% to 70% full BEFORE I deleted thousands of archived emails and data from Office 2007. After running "erase all free areas" function, Windows 7 now shows the drive is 98.3% full. All the programs are opening properly but I cant see giving anyone a PC showing less than 2% free space.
Why would the drive be so loaded? I could not find any WIP files to delete.

Eraser fills up all the free space on your hard drive? Fixed it! Richard, I know its been a couple of years since your post, but i was having the exact same issue. Eraser ran all night on my pc, (it does take a while with larger hard drives) I saw my 2 tb hard was FULL! I was panicking! UM.... NO!! What the heck did eraser do! I found a few forums that were spose to "fix" it.. but using windows 10 with eraser was not listed in the help. I was trying to figure out how to access the root folder as was described for windows 7. There was no way i was going to chance screwing up my pc. I accidentally FOUND the problem and the solution! When running Eraser and it fills the hard drive (if you have two internal hard drives, you'll choose wich one you would like it to write over at the beginning of the manual process, in my case, I was not wanting to use eraser on my C: Drive, that one is fine.. I wanted to use eraser on my E: drive, my other internal hard drive) let it complete the process (if you were like me and panicked and cancelled the process, its ok.. you'll know better next time ;) ) When its finished, for Windows 10,
1. Go to My Computer
2. Double Click on the drive that was just filled by Eraser
3. Look for folders that are labeled with random letters or numbers
4. Hover over with your cursor (or right click on the folder(s) and go to properties on the bottom) to see the size (one of the folders I checked was 1.5tb) It'll be a good size folder.
5. Make double sure its the right folder. Here's how,
5A. Double click on the folder in question
5B. All the file names in the folder are random letters and or numbers on the left and all about equal in size (shown on the right of the files)
Example? Ok..
Folder Name - askdjfiouaw size - 225,577
Folder Name - kjkdjaiofioa size - 226,784
Folder Name - kaklsdkljiosj size - 264,583
There's the space now taken up by Eraser, Those little culprits are about to get deleted! That'll learn em!
6. Right click on each folder
7. Scroll down to delete, click delete
8. A box pops up, may say, folder too big for recycle bin, do you wish to permanently delete this folder(s)
9. Click, YES!
10. Repeat for each folder that is similar.
11. DONE! There's your space back on your hard drive.
But...But.. But... Im scared to do that Ticker! What if its a folder that wasn't supposed to be deleted!?
Ahhhh, young grasshopper! Good question. To be 99.9% sure, look at the date at the bottom right of your screen.. You know, by the clock
.. Say it's 12/4/2019, on each folder right click on it, make sure you're in the "general" tab, and check the date created. Dollars to donuts it corresponds with the day Eraser was used.

Hope this helps
Ticker

Back