Eraser 6 stable ate all my free hd space

b33fj3rky

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 and installed the latest version of Eraser. Today, using the context menu, I set it to wipe all the free space on my C: drive. It started working, and I went away for an hour. I came back to see if it had finished yet--there was a window informing me that Eraser had crashed (something about an unhandled exception, I think?) and another window warning me that I was completely out of free space. There was an option to let Eraser try and continue, despite the error; I said yes; it crashed again anyway and the program closed. I was then left with a hard drive with ZERO percent free space! I restarted the computer, and Windows freed up space by shrinking the page file; I then found the files Eraser had created and deleted them, which got things back to normal.

Obviously, I'm concerned about this instability. And I have some questions:

1. In the old version of Eraser, there was an option to have the program NOT create giant files to wipe the free space, wasn't there? Why isn't that option included anymore?

2. In the old version, a status window told me exactly what Eraser was doing, and how much longer the process would take. Now those indicators are gone--why?

Eraser 5, on XP, was such a great program--I hope this new version can be fixed!

Oh, and one more thing-- I just used Recuva to check my C: drive-- the free space on this drive has definitely NOT been wiped; most of the "deleted" stuff on it can be recovered.

b33fj3rky said:
1. In the old version of Eraser, there was an option to have the program NOT create giant files to wipe the free space, wasn't there? Why isn't that option included anymore?
This was always how Eraser did free space erases.
b33fj3rky said:
2. In the old version, a status window told me exactly what Eraser was doing, and how much longer the process would take. Now those indicators are gone--why?
Double click on the task that's running for a status window.
b33fj3rky said:
Oh, and one more thing-- I just used Recuva to check my C: drive-- the free space on this drive has definitely NOT been wiped; most of the "deleted" stuff on it can be recovered.
Are they valid filenames?

Joel said:
b33fj3rky said:
Are they valid filenames?
I got this problem too. Active@ is able to recognize certain files as correct file types. Some are fully corrupted, some are partially corrupted, but most are clean.

What are the sizes of the files which can be recovered (either partially or fully?) I'm also thinking you're using NTFS -- did you disable System Restore before doing the unused space erasure?

Joel said:
What are the sizes of the files which can be recovered (either partially or fully?) I'm also thinking you're using NTFS -- did you disable System Restore before doing the unused space erasure?
They were normal sized I think.
And yes, I use NTFS. Is that an issue?

I'll need more information about the files which remained intact: what information does Active@ provide you? I'll need as much as possible, if it is sensitive you may prefer to PM me.

Joel said:
I'll need more information about the files which remained intact: what information does Active@ provide you? I'll need as much as possible, if it is sensitive you may prefer to PM me.
Let me try one more time with System Restore disabled and see what comes up.

Back