Eraser + CC cleaner

cerpheus

Hi,

I've just installed Eraser and all is fine. I was just wanting to pose a question, is their any other instance that files could be recovered from? I run cc cleaner regularly and also clean out my registry, is this in addition to running unused or blank space with Eraser sufficent?

Is their anything else you suggest that I do to make sure that my removed data secure?

I currently work in a legal department. I need to make sure deleted office documents (word, excel, outlook emails), images (png, jpeg, gif etc), and also any visited websites or any viewed documents trails are removed. This is something that is going to be undertaken every couple of day's. The pc's sometimes are moved along to different sections so we need to make sure it's clean but not have to use Dban.

The pc's sometimes are moved along to different sections

Wow, that’s crazy !! A legal department move computers with clients private data on, or at least “had” clients private data on around departments !!!!

You need to explain to your superiors that this is just bad practice.

If this is a commercial request you could adopt commercial software for this. There are a few available that will meet your requirements but as Eraser and the Eraser forums are free software I cannot point you to commercial software.

Eraser is probably the best at what it does, well if it isn’t now it soon will be with V6 ! I do not believe there is any software commercial or otherwise that is better at wiping the free space of your hard drive.

As for Ccleaner (free software) it is very good. Coupled with Eraser you have a very secure, free solution.

Eraser V6 will have the option of installing various plugins that will add functionality to Eraser such as those in Ccleaner. You might do well waiting for V6.

How about suggesting to your company that they have several hard disks that they can swap between departments so the secure disks never leave your office. Also Truecrypt may be of some use to you as well as Axcrypt.

Wow, that’s crazy !! A legal department move computers with clients private data on, or at least “had” clients private data on around departments !!!!

You need to explain to your superiors that this is just bad practice.

If this is a commercial request you could adopt commercial software for this. There are a few available that will meet your requirements but as Eraser and the Eraser forums are free software I cannot point you to commercial software.

Eraser is probably the best at what it does, well if it isn’t now it soon will be with V6 ! I do not believe there is any software commercial or otherwise that is better at wiping the free space of your hard drive.

As for Ccleaner (free software) it is very good. Coupled with Eraser you have a very secure, free solution.

Eraser V6 will have the option of installing various plugins that will add functionality to Eraser such as those in Ccleaner. You might do well waiting for V6.

How about suggesting to your company that they have several hard disks that they can swap between departments so the secure disks never leave your office. Also Truecrypt may be of some use to you as well as Axcrypt.

Oh trust me, I have and unfortunately it seems to be too much of a hassle to do thing's 100% right. But don't worry I'm working on getting these guys to understand the implications.

We're currently using Truecrypt after my suggestion and it has been a massive help, along with Eraser of course.

Just a question, which software would you suggest I use to "test" just to make sure everything is gone? I've tried with hex editors and cannot find anything, but was advised to also test with O&O. I am definitely eagerly awaiting V6.

Hex editors are best but they need an understanding of what you are doing.

Otherwise Directory Snoop is quite good as they have a free trial version.

I am a little restricted in what I can recommend as this is a free forum with free software, so suggesting commercial software wouldn’t be fair to Eraser. However I can suggest you search for “data recovery tools”.

This link will also be useful for you.

Back