Eraser: Cluster Tips Error

eraser1987

I do not post here, but I do follow this board for help on this software. I must say it really is a good piece of software. I searched for an answer through the search feature, but I was unable to find it. Some people mentioned it, but received no specific answer. One of those threads was this one....

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5944

A reply was that there is a known bug. Since there were many problems in the OP's Eraser, the answer was unclear. So, please clarify on if this is a bug, if it's needed, and if so, how to fix it?

I received this message after completing the task....

Session: Sunday, March 07, 2010 11:39:39 PM
Sunday, March 07, 2010 11:39:39 PM Error C:\ did not have its cluster tips erased because of the following error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)

Thank you in advance for your continued effort to not only help us with our problems, but to provide everyone with a great piece of software!

Regards,
eraser1987

The short answer is that this is not a problem; indeed, if this is the only message you had, it is rather good news.

I've explained the reasons for these messages in a number of other threads, so will not repeat myself unless you wish me to do so. Joel is aware that the current versions of Eraser 6 do tend to describe things that are virtually inevitable as errors, when they ought really to be warnings; I hope we can find that Eraser is a little less excitable in the upcoming release. If you were using Eraser 5, again, it is not a problem, though version 5 is now obsolescent, and I personally would not advise using it with any OS more recent than Windows XP SP3.

Hope this helps.

David

Awsome to hear! It wasn't anything major, I knew it was working just by watching the hard drive lose space. Is it true that the program helps the hard drive life? I have heard it helps it, which is the only reason for using it. Thanks again!

eraser1987 said:
Is it true that the program helps the hard drive life? I have heard it helps it, which is the only reason for using it.
Actually, the program gives the drive a hard time, and in that sense is useful only if you want to be sure that the drive is OK; running an Eraser wipe could certainly push a failing drive over the edge. The purpose of the program is privacy/security, that is to ensure that your private data does not get out of your hands.

David

I guess what I was told was wrong then. I had been getting considerably faster since I had been using this. This is why I was asking the question. How many times should this be ran to ensure my stuff doesn't get out of my hands? Should it be a once a month sorta thing? Thanks again in advance

It really depends on your threat model, i.e. who you're up against, and your available time. It's a bit of a battle between security and practicality, something that no-one can tell you and that you'll need to find out yourself (mainly through experimenting)

Back