Eraser dumping junk files + "All Data Cannot Be Erased"

nobody

Hi,

I'm currently using Eraser 5.8.8 in Windows 7 Professional x64. I've come across a bug whereby Eraser dumps a heap of junk (I think?) files onto the directory in which you performed the delete (in my case, the Desktop).

Steps to reproduce:
1. Download the Tor Browser bundle for Windows from here: http://www.torproject.org/download.html.en
2. Extract to Desktop
3. Run the Tor explorer, and after everything loads, close the Tor explorer.
4. Erase the folder from the right-click context menu.
5. Firstly, you'll notice that the folder isn't gone (and I think maybe in the erasing report you get a "Task Completed. All Data could not be erased" message, but nothing in the failures section.) Next, you'll notice a whole bunch of files that weren't on the desktop prior to the erase.
6. Select all the files, and right-click context menu erase. You'll again get "Task Completed. All Data could not be erased" along with no failures listed. Not all files have been erased. Then repeat, and do again until all gone.

Another thing I've noticed is that in Win7, (but strangely not on the desktop), is that if you select more than 16 files, and try right-click context menu erase, nothing will happen. Didn't have the problem back when I was on XP, and potentially using an older version of Eraser.

nobody said:
Hi,

I'm currently using Eraser 5.8.8 in Windows 7 Professional x64. I've come across a bug whereby Eraser dumps a heap of junk (I think?) files onto the directory in which you performed the delete (in my case, the Desktop).
Well, it was mentioned that v5 isn't officially supported on Win7 so I'll explain the problems, but I don't think I'll be able to squeeze a fix into v5 for you, sorry.

nobody said:
Steps to reproduce:
1. Download the Tor Browser bundle for Windows from here: http://www.torproject.org/download.html.en
2. Extract to Desktop
3. Run the Tor explorer, and after everything loads, close the Tor explorer.
4. Erase the folder from the right-click context menu.
5. Firstly, you'll notice that the folder isn't gone (and I think maybe in the erasing report you get a "Task Completed. All Data could not be erased" message, but nothing in the failures section.) Next, you'll notice a whole bunch of files that weren't on the desktop prior to the erase.
6. Select all the files, and right-click context menu erase. You'll again get "Task Completed. All Data could not be erased" along with no failures listed. Not all files have been erased. Then repeat, and do again until all gone.
These are probably system files copied from the system folder and couldn't be removed by Eraser. You'll need to manually remove them. Windows versions after Vista (or with the indexing service) have an uncanny ability in locking files...

nobody said:
Another thing I've noticed is that in Win7, (but strangely not on the desktop), is that if you select more than 16 files, and try right-click context menu erase, nothing will happen. Didn't have the problem back when I was on XP, and potentially using an older version of Eraser.
This is a problem with Windows, the shell extension is called differently when greater than 16 files are selected.

Back