Eraser Failed Posts

Overwriter

Hi Garrett

There have been a few “Eraser Failed” posts just recently. People not quite understanding their forensic tools and misinterpreting the results.

How about making a sticky post at the top to explain things to people ? I know they are simply recovering randomised file names that “APPEAR” to be real files but you will be able to explain it better.

In fact how about making the default settings in Eraser single pass zero on data deletion and disk wiping ? This way noobs using forensic applications they are not able to understand will at least not get any false positives. More advanced users will understand the more advanced options such as pseudorandom wiping and also they will be competent enough to understand the results found with any forensic software.

Thanks for continuing eraser by the way

Just what is ment by "Real Data" and how to test for this "Real Data" and Tools used where the people might download these Tools and how people should evaluate the results of their testing.
Thanks for continuing eraser by the way
If I haven't said so I echo this sediment, if I haven't it is because I want this Eraser project to be successful.

Hi Carver

Carver said:
Just what is ment by "Real Data"

This means actual data the user wishes to delete or thought they had deleted. Not simply random over-write data left by Eraser which is what I believe most people who claim Eraser isn’t working are actually finding.

Carver said:
and how to test for this "Real Data"

Hex editors, undelete software etc.

Carver said:
and Tools used where the people might download these Tools

Search for free data recovery or Hex Editors on your favourite search engine. WinHex is a great tool.

Carver said:
and how people should evaluate the results of their testing.

I suggest they read the manual that comes with their chosen recovery / forensic software. Try opening or reading any file they find. I suspect it will be simply random data after Eraser has finished with it.

I have personally tested Eraser 5.7 for a couple of years and it has never let me down.

Hi OverWrighter
I wasn't talking about me personally, but your sticky Post at the top. Sorry you missunderstood, I guess my use of
where the people might download these Tools and how people should evaluate the results of their testing.
wasn't clear enough.

Back