Eraser Freeze Problem

sly

I'm running XP Pro SP2. I don't seem to have the freeze up problem if I erase 1 Word file at a time, however more times than not if I attempt to erase 10 files or more simultaneously Eraser freezes. I typically use 7 pass DoD.

At Eraser freeze, (it stops running), I check my hard disk and free space goes down from 17+GB to less than 7GB. When I attempt to shut down Eraser, it stops but the dialog box remains up and my computer slows almost to a stop. I use Task Manager to shut down the process but the dialog box still remains up. Finally I use Task Manager to shut down My Documents since I can't manually close it while Eraser is hung. Finally the Eraser dialog box is gone.

I check free space and it remains down 10+GB.

I reopen My Document, find the file Eraser froze on and try to erase again. The last time I did this Eraser indicated "estimated minutes" = 58! It is only a 200kb Word file.

I leave the computer and wait the 58 minutes and the file is finally erased. Here is the Eraser log file:
Statistics:
Erased area = 10585 MB
Cluster tips = 0 bytes
Data written = 74095 MB
Write time = 2856.22 s
Write speed = 26564 kB/s

After all this I check free space and my hard disk is back up to 17+GB.

Obviously I can not continue to use Eraser with continual problem. I uninstalled Eraser and reinstalled it to no avail.

I would very much appreciate any help or insight anyone can give here.

Is Eraser designed to only erase 1 file or a small group of files at one time? What is the recommended maximum size of the file or group?

Thanks.

No one else has this problem?

Ok...any suggestions for an alternative freeware overwriter?

Hi sly

What version of Eraser are you using ?

It sounds to me like you are performing a free space wipe somehow.

Overwriter, thank you for your response. I really appreciate it.

I am using 5.86.1. Previous to that I was using 5.7.

I just erased a small file. I right clicked on the file, chose the erase option, which is set to 7 pass Dod, and erased the file. Here is the log file:

Statistics:
Erased area = 96 kB
Cluster tips = 1740 bytes

Data written = 672 kB
Write time = 0.36 s
Write speed = 1867 kB/s

No problem erasing 1 file.

I don't know how I would be performing a free space wipe. I always use the same method to erase...right clicking on the specific file or files. It is only when I attempt to erase multiple files do I incur the freeze up problem. I read someone else had the problem in the Eraser Bugs Forum so I'm not the only one. I previously responded to that thread, possibly in error since it is not a confirmed bug. Sorry.

Any suggestions here? Is there a limit to the number of individual files you can highlight to erase at one erase process? Erasing 1 file at a time can be laborious. Thanks.

Hi sly :)

sly said:
Overwriter, thank you for your response. I really appreciate it.

You’re welcome.

sly said:
I don't know how I would be performing a free space wipe.

It is just when you said this.

sly said:
I check my hard disk and free space goes down from 17+GB to less than 7GB.

That sounds like Eraser is filling up the free space in order to overwrite it. I am only guessing here but do you have a schedule set ?

What other software do you have installed on your computer ? Anything like special recovery programs etc ? It might be something like a sandbox type program or something making a restore or backup of all the overwrites by mistake.

I have Windoze XP Pro SP2 and I don’t have any problems with Eraser and multiple file wipes. Could you try changing from the 7 pass to the single pseudorandom single pass as a test please ?

Thanks.

Overwriter,

Overwriter said:
That sounds like Eraser is filling up the free space in order to overwrite it. I am only guessing here but do you have a schedule set ?

No schedule set.

Overwriter said:
What other software do you have installed on your computer ? Anything like special recovery programs etc ? It might be something like a sandbox type program or something making a restore or backup of all the overwrites by mistake.

I am not acquainted with any special recovery programs on my computer. I use AVG Free Antivirus, Defender, Zonealarm. Unless there is something installed stealth on my computer making a restore or backup which I am unaware of.

The freeze only happens when I attempt to erase multiple files. I've never experienced it with single file erases. Seems like a restore or backup would work in all cases. It seems to occur toward the end of the erase procedure, apparently with the final file to be erased. I could be wrong there, but the last time it happened only 1 of the files remained in its folder to my knowledge. When I erased that single file, my free space returned to normal.

Overwriter said:
I have Windoze XP Pro SP2 and I don’t have any problems with Eraser and multiple file wipes. Could you try changing from the 7 pass to the single pseudorandom single pass as a test please ?

I have used the 7 pass method on many single files with no problem. Per your request I erased an 11.3 kb HTML document using single pseudorandom. The results:
Statistics:
Erased area = 12 kB
Cluster tips = 621 bytes
Data written = 12 kB
Write time = 0.16 s
Write speed = 76 kB/s

As an aside, what does "Erase Secure Move" mean in the command box directly under "Erase"?

Thanks again.

Hi sly,

I have not forgotten you, I am just trying to get Eraser to do the same on my machine. No luck yet as all seems to be working ok.

I will stick with it though. In the meantime if you have any more clues or find an answer I would appreciate it if you would post back here to let me know.

Back