Eraser new version bugs?

djondjeems

Hi there,

I'm a huge Eraser fan and I always thought of Eraser as a simple but very useful program. But lately I had a computer crash and al my setup software was gone so I had to download it again.
I also downloaded Eraser again and it had a whole new look and worked different.
By different I mean I can not get is to wipe free space as usual. With the previous version I made a free space wiping task and ran it. It always took about an hour or so an then my whole free space was really clean when I tested it with undelete software.
Is this still possible with the version I use (6.0.8.2273) if yes how can I do it.

My second and last question is that this version of Eraser does not clean a whole directory any more. I always get errors and when I go and take a look in the directory I see that some files are deleted and other files not. It would not even delete empty folders if 'Delete folder if empty is' on.
And when I delete 1 file or so it stays in the directory till I put the computer off wich is very annoying cause I can't see no longer wich file is deleted or not.
Please tell me how I can get this version to work as the old and great Eraser.
I run Eraser on a Windows Vista 32 bit dualcore computer.

Djon

Please look at the FAQ. The topics on Eraser Architecture, Getting to know Eraser 6 and Common Eraser questions will tell you much if not all of what you need to know. Without more specific details (e.g. error and task log messages), it is difficult to know the precise nature of your problems, but at least in part they may be a problem with permissions issues, which running Eraser as Administrator will fix. The other thought (prompted by the strange behaviour of the file entries) is that it might be worth doing a disk check on your target drive.

Eraser 6 should do all the things you describe normally; it does on my machines. Eraser 5 can be run (crankily in my experience) under Vista, but it tends to have the same permissions problems as Eraser 6, and to fall foul of UAC.

Once you have read the FAQ and tried running Eraser as administrator, please come back if you have any further issues.

David

Well I did all of that. Ran it as administrator and even turned UAC off but I stil get errors and it still does not remove empty folders and some files. I even unlocked the files manually but Eraser would not erase.
Eraser 5 under Vista was great and worked perfectly.
I got an other eraser wich does the job for me. Bu itś a pitty I really liked Eraser.

Did you really run it as administrator? That is, did you close the running instance first before running Eraser as administrator? If the background process is not stopped, you cannot initiate administrative running.

If Joel's other commitments allow, 2011 should see the release of Eraser 6.2, in which the plan is that the Eraser engine will be run as a service rather than as a background process. That, hopefully, will eliminate much of the requirement for explicit administrative running.

David

djondjeems said:
Hi there,

I'm a huge Eraser fan and I always thought of Eraser as a simple but very useful program. But lately I had a computer crash and al my setup software was gone so I had to download it again.
I also downloaded Eraser again and it had a whole new look and worked different.
By different I mean I can not get is to wipe free space as usual. With the previous version I made a free space wiping task and ran it. It always took about an hour or so an then my whole free space was really clean when I tested it with undelete software.
Is this still possible with the version I use (6.0.8.2273) if yes how can I do it.
I think David's topics are really useful in dealing with this, and the documentation should have some description on what to do with this. You basically need to have a new Task, and create a new Target for free space erasing. Cluster tip erasures are not optional based on the task, and not for all free space erasures.

djondjeems said:
My second and last question is that this version of Eraser does not clean a whole directory any more. I always get errors and when I go and take a look in the directory I see that some files are deleted and other files not. It would not even delete empty folders if 'Delete folder if empty is' on.
Does the task disappear after the erase? If not, does it show that it completed with errors? If so, please copy the task log (right-click the task, View Task Log, select all the entries, right-click and select Copy Selected Entries) and paste it here, we should be able to help.
djondjeems said:
And when I delete 1 file or so it stays in the directory till I put the computer off wich is very annoying cause I can't see no longer wich file is deleted or not.
Please tell me how I can get this version to work as the old and great Eraser.
I run Eraser on a Windows Vista 32 bit dualcore computer.
I think you just need to refresh the folder. Right-click the folder in question, and select Refresh (or press F5)

HTH,
Joel

Back