eraser vs. sure delete

giltheissen

Hello all;
Im a novice and currently using Sure Delete. Should I uninstall it first before trying Eraser or can the two programs play together without fighting?
One of the things I dont like about Sure Delete is that it doesnt seem to access files already in the Recycle Bin. From what I gather, Eraser gives you the option to delete the entire Recyle bin contents as well as an extra right-click option to erase individual files from within the Recycle Bin. Is that correct?
Thanks -- Gil Theissen

Well, I went ahead and tried Eraser on one of my machines that didnt already have Sure Delete on it and altho the installation went smoothly,I was disappointed to see that I misread the the features section.
I thought Id get a R-click option inside the Recycle Bin to erase individual files contained therein, but Eraser doesnt seem to offer this option after all. Sure Delete doesnt either and since neither app offers it, Im curious as to why?
To me it seems like a good idea. Am I missing something?
Gil Theissen

quote:Originally posted by giltheissen
I thought Id get a R-click option inside the Recycle Bin to erase individual files contained therein, but Eraser doesnt seem to offer this option after all. Sure Delete doesnt either and since neither app offers it, Im curious as to why?

Hi Gil,

Eraser should have added a right click menu item to Erase Recycle Bin

Thats when used on the recycle bin itself. Upon opening recycle bin
and erasing individual files inside- I cant confirm as files I delete
dont go to bin they get deleted immediately (with erasing free space
a weekly habit:)

I thought you could erase or restore files from within the bin, it has
been a long time since Ive seen files in there though. Have you
rebooted since installing Eraser?

--
Army RedLeg

Hello Redlegs;
Yeah, I have the option to erase all the contents of the Recycle Bin (which Sure Delete doesnt provide) and yeah, I have rebooted since installation.
I like to keep stuff in my recycle bin for a few months before blasting it out the airlock. I guess thats why I think the option to pick and choose individual items already inside the recyle bin would be a nice feature.
Eraser seems to do a fine job and does offer more than Sure Delete. I guess Im just curious as to whether there are technical reasons for omitting a feature which seems (at least, to me) like a good idea or whether its my preference thats unusual.
Gil Theissen

No problem, the recycle bin is a folder.
You can delete single entries at will and then make a freespace erase
[:)]

quote:Originally posted by Gusti
No problem, the recycle bin is a folder.
You can delete single entries at will and then make a freespace erase
[:)]

actually Gil has a valid idea there, would be a nice feature- as you say
the recycle bin is a folder, it can be done in other folders [^]

but of course, freespace erase is a weekly minimum [:D]

Here's how to erase individual files in Win9X systems: run "command.com" and type "cd\recycled". the files should be there, or under a long-named subfolder. if the sub-folder exists, then type "cd [name of folder]" once there, you can use Eraser Launcher to erase individual files. The same applies to WinNT based systems, but use "recycler" instead of "recycled", and "cmd" instead of "command.com".

This works on my systems, so it should work elsewhere. Just make sure Admin access is available to modify the folder's contents

To me, the whole idea of securely wiping individual items in the Recycle Bin is goofy. If you delete a file to the Recycle Bin, and that psueo-deletion isn't enough of a security concern that you "really mean it" for another few months, why bother following it up with a file-by-file secure deletion at that point? In other words, if a file deserves to be securely deleted at all, it demands to be securely deleted immediately. Otherwise, forget about it completely. To do otherwise is like parking your car at work in the morning, then only going out at noon to lock it. Either lock it immediately, or don't bother at all. With security, there is no in between.

The solution: 1) you can use: BinManager (http://www.cheztabor.com/binmanager/#Download) (also works with XP)in the recycle bin you can to select of automatic form folders an files with certain oldness 2) Exists a software that works as a second second recycle bin, in which you can store files or folders than you can think are important of the others and you can decide to delete those or to restore to the original localizacion, I saw in Download.com but it seems that this no longer, if somebody located its name of this software please to warn to me

Back