Eraser, Windows 7 64-bit and TEMP folder

tomahawk

Hello!
Under Windows 7-64 I can't make Eraser working on system disk in %temp% folder, i.e. "Files and Folders c:\temp" in my case. Eraser started and finished in half of second, on other disks such tasks worked perfectly. In log I see only "session started" and "session ended".
What may be wrong? UAC level is set to minimum. Tasks like "empty unused disk space" on disk C: are working.
I tried last build Eraser (6.1.0.2284)

As it's a system folder, you will probably have to run Eraser as Administrator, which is described in the "Getting to know ..." FAQ post. Also described is how to view the Task Log, which I guess will show one or more errors.

David

I working under account that belong to "Administrators" group and no more lines in log except "session started" and "session ended".
Any other suggestions?

Maybe I understand what wrong with Eraser and %TEMP% folder.
At first Eraser collecting info about files and folders. All ok until unreadable files or folders, in my case %TEMP%\hsperfdata_%account%\%some number%. As I see in Process Monitor (sysinternals), Eraser received Access Violation... and all, task done, but nothing done. Maybe developers need to catch such exceptions?

Part of log with exception:

0:04:00,3588250 Eraser.exe 2752 QueryNetworkOpenInformationFile C:\TEMP\History\History.IE5\index.dat SUCCESS CreationTime: 21.01.2011 16:29:17, LastAccessTime: 21.01.2011 16:29:17, LastWriteTime: 26.01.2011 14:34:44, ChangeTime: 28.01.2011 0:00:36, AllocationSize: 01.01.1601 2:00:00, EndOfFile: 01.01.1601 2:00:00, FileAttributes: HSANCI
0:04:00,3588364 Eraser.exe 2752 CloseFile C:\TEMP\History\History.IE5\index.dat SUCCESS
0:04:00,3589218 Eraser.exe 2752 CreateFile C:\TEMP\hsperfdata_yur\2784 SHARING VIOLATION Desired Access: Generic Read, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: n/a

The issue here is that Eraser should, and normally does catch access violations. This is one for Joel (when he has time to get back on the forum)

David

It's a sharing violation, not access violation. Sharing violations mean that the file was in use when the user tried to delete/open/save to it. Eraser would by default try to free the file off the program using it (which may occasionally have disastrous consequences, like program crashes, but allows users to erase files which otherwise may not usually be erasable) in this case that seems to have failed. Try to release the file from the program running it (Unlocker or sysinternals Handle may be of use) exit it and erase again.

Joel said:
It's a sharing violation, not access violation. Sharing violations mean that the file was in use when the user tried to delete/open/save to it. Eraser would by default try to free the file off the program using it (which may occasionally have disastrous consequences, like program crashes, but allows users to erase files which otherwise may not usually be erasable) in this case that seems to have failed. Try to release the file from the program running it (Unlocker or sysinternals Handle may be of use) exit it and erase again.

joel, i can't release this file. this is native system file and even after deleting (doubtful) system recreate it. eraser need to avoid such problems, otherwise it unfit for use. i run task - eraser false reports "succefull". all i wanted from eraser - authomatic erasing %temp% folder and wipe c: disk every 24 hours. But it fails.

Forgive me for asking, but why should you need to erase a system file? It is unusual even to delete such files.

David

DavidHB said:
Forgive me for asking, but why should you need to erase a system file? It is unusual even to delete such files.

David

I need to erase %temp% folder, not standalone file. If some files can't be deleted, nothing wrong - eraser must skip them and delete + erase others. But can't.

Folks, please read first messages instead of asking such questions.

Actually, as I have done on a number of occasions, I've just erased the contents of my %temp% folder and Eraser did exactly what you said it cannot do. That is what confused me, and why I thought you were referring to a particular file.

Amusingly, one of the files that was bypassed was stated to be locked by Eraser itself. I closed the Eraser process, which allowed me to delete the file to the Recycle Bin, the contents of which I could then erase normally.

David

David, all I need to is erasing %temp% folder and can't do this, unfortunately, because of that or other file(s).
Maybe problem with this particular file is because of it origin:
The hsperfdata folder has been put there by Java and it isn't intended to be deleted
problem occurs when eraser scanning folder, even not when erasing. i think solution is only 2-3 lines of code (catch exception and continue)

Hmm. I have Java installed, but I don't have the file in my %temp% folder or anywhere else. You could try the delete to Recycle Bin trick, to see if (1) you can then erase it and (2) it disappears.

I'd agree with you about the code if my installation were not already catching problem files. The issue looks to a be a bit more complex than that.

David

tomahawk said:
joel, i can't release this file. this is native system file and even after deleting (doubtful) system recreate it. eraser need to avoid such problems, otherwise it unfit for use. i run task - eraser false reports "succefull". all i wanted from eraser - authomatic erasing %temp% folder and wipe c: disk every 24 hours. But it fails.
Can you post a screenshot of the task properties dialog? Right click the task, click on Edit Task and grab a screenshot of it.

The hsperfdata folder is locked by the system and under normal circumstances cannot be deleted even. However, it would be unusual for Eraser to give up without saying anything in the logs.

C:\temp is usually empty (and on modern OSes, usually does not exist.) That would explain why Eraser doesn't seem to do anything, as there is nothing to do in the first place!

Joel said:
C:\temp is usually empty (and on modern OSes, usually does not exist.) That would explain why Eraser doesn't seem to do anything, as there is nothing to do in the first place!

what do you mean??? is this joke? i don't know what and why i have in c:\temp?
i manually set temporary folders for current user and system in c:\temp. i think you understand what i mean.

just in case..if you still don't understand

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I too am confused. Earlier posts related to the %temp% folder, but the screenshot relates to C:\Temp. Have you changed the location associated with the environment variable?

David

DavidHB said:
I too am confused. Earlier posts related to the %temp% folder, but the screenshot relates to C:\Temp. Have you changed the location associated with the environment variable?

David

Yes, i changed location for both current user and system temporary folder location, as i always do, and as you can see on specially posted screenshot. but problem with eraser, not with location my temp folder. meaningless chatter. is there author of a program?

Thanks; you confirmed what I thought. Even Joel (who is the main author of Eraser 6) can be on the wrong track sometimes ... :)

Back to the issue at hand. To summarise an exchange that has become a bit diffuse, you want to erase the contents of your %temp% folder. The task reports as completing normally, with an empty log. But files remain in the folder. You think that is a bug. I tend to agree. We need to sort out what is happening; at the very least, there should be some sort of error report.

Looking through the exchanges, I am not sure whether you have tried to erase the offending files directly, either via a task, through the Recycle Bin (which is then erased) or from the context menu. When you do try this, what does Eraser report, if anything?

David

Also, can you post a screenshot of your log window? If that's still blank (upload it anyway), do this:

Press Winkey + R
Type cmd
Press enter.
In the window appearing, type cd C:\Temp
Press enter
Type dir /a
Press enter

Copy and paste the output. You need to right-click the window, select Mark, drag a rectangle around the listing, right-click again for Copy and paste here.

Back