Eraser wont shutdown system and wont wipe protected files

Random

Hi, I'm have an ongoing problem with Eraser (current version 5.8.2.0). This has happened on other PC's I have had and with earlier Eraser Programs (XP SP2). When wiping the drive of all unused disk space, there is the option to shutdown the system when finished from the properties of the listed task ('erase all unused disk space on drive c'). I always keep the task on the list, check the properties to ensure the option is ticked and it never works! I've tried everything to no avail. The shutdown option is gone after the wipe is finished too which makes it even more confusing...

Also, I have no background programs running (after using msconfig), I have full administration rights and at the end there are many files in the report which were not able to be wiped due to being protected?? Is there a way around either of these issues? Please let me know.

Thanks...

Random Hi, I'm have an ongoing problem with Eraser (current version 5.8.2.0). This has happened on other PC's I have had and with earlier Eraser Programs (XP SP2). When wiping the drive of all unused disk space, there is the option to shutdown the system when finished from the properties of the listed task ('erase all unused disk space on drive c'). I always keep the task on the list, check the properties to ensure the option is ticked and it never works! I've tried everything to no avail. The shutdown option is gone after the wipe is finished too which makes it even more confusing...

I have the same experence, unfortunately it has never worked right...for me anyway.

I have full administration rights and at the end there are many files in the report which were not able to be wiped due to being protected?? Is there a way around either of these issues? Please let me know. Thanks

Not to worry ,those are locked files...locked by you computer. You can keep these locked filed to a minimum by ending those process that are not necessary, and how do i know which processes are not necessary you say. your computer will not end a process or kill the process if it is critical to the computers running. Do not end the Firwall or the AVs processes unless you first unplug from the internet. You acomplish this task by using the "Task Manager". To bring up the task Manager you press the Ctrl + Alt + Delete, you click on the "Processes Tab".

Thanks Carver, but as I wrote, I run the program after running msconfig and having only M/S services running and I definitely wouldn't do any of that whilst online. Also, again as I said, I have full admin rights and display all files etc through the appropriate adjustments in 'folder view settings'. Since I'm supposedly only wiping 'unused' files/folders, it seems odd that these 'locked' files are in the mix at all...

As for the failure to shutdown the system, since you also have the same issue, I'm wondering how many others do and if there is a solution...

Back