eraserd

jsb1

I like command lines. Therefore, the first thing I started playing with was eraserd. I have a couple of comments/suggestions/questions:

First, I tried to test it on a subdirectory with the command eraserd -folder t1 -subfolders. I got Help in return. I eventually figured out that eraserd wants the full path to the folder to be wiped. eraserd -folder mp 1 -subfolders worked. OK, but verbose. No error message the first time around was a pain.

Second, people that like command lines dont like to type long options. How about offering abbreviations? (I didnt look at the source, so forgive me if theyre theyre already there.)

Third, eraserd has no entry in help. Maybe Im just being anal.

Finally, eraserd seemed to ignore the preferences set via eraser. I have the default Erasing Preferences set to #1 (Gutmann, 35 passes), but eraserd defaults to 1 pass. Also, I cant tell which method it used.

Thanks for your time and willingness to pick up this project. If I can help in any way (coding, docs, testing), please let me know.

Dave

Eraserd is the old DOS version of eraser. You need to play with eraserl for win32. Though the command line will be equally verbose.

How about offering abbreviations?
An idea but users prefer explicit options and I feel it would keep all the support mails down.

>>Third, eraserd has no entry in help. Maybe Im just being anal.
I will add it in the next release.

>>Finally, eraserd seemed to ignore the preferences set via eraser.
This is because it is old 16bit DOS code.

>>If I can help in any way (coding, docs, testing), please let me >>know.
One area I was working on but had to stop before xmas was a on boot
erase of files. I am trying to create the features of spiderbite in eraser. Basically to kill those index.dat files from explorer you need to erase them on machine startup. Interested in helping on that one?

Garrett

quote:Originally posted by admin
Eraserd is the old DOS version of eraser. You need to play with eraserl for win32. Though the command line will be equally verbose.

How about offering abbreviations?
An idea but users prefer explicit options and I feel it would keep all the support mails down.

My mistake. I didnt look closely enough at the docs. I did run eraserl (once) and noticed the same command-line options. I guess what threw me was the window of help. Ill play with that.

My initial expectation was for --long-option-names or -s (one dash, followed by one character). This is the way most of the gnu command line utilities work. Only problem with that approach is that it breaks backward compatibility. Ill chew on it some more.

quote:
One area I was working on but had to stop before xmas was a on boot
erase of files. I am trying to create the features of spiderbite in eraser. Basically to kill those index.dat files from explorer you need to erase them on machine startup. Interested in helping on that one?

Sure. Be happy to. Im not familiar with spiderbite (and I cant figure out what project http://www.spiderbite.org is actually hosting), so if you can provide a pointer, Id appreciate it.

Is the 5.6 source available? The download page only had 5.5.

Dave

quote:Originally posted by jsb1
Is the 5.6 source available? The download page only had 5.5.

Forget this last part. I found it when I searched sourceforge.

Back