Erasing a Computer Hard Drive for Resale

bugaw23

I am selling my old computer and want to erase the hard drive. I have read previous posts but still have questions. Can someone give me a step by step process? My biggest concern is how to install the XP operating system on again once I erase it. Will I be able to use my DVD Drive or CD-R Drive? Will I need to repartition my computer once I use this eraser software and reformat it?. If so how di I do that? If I won't be able to use the CD rom drive to put windows XP back on, how do I make a start up disk. Also I upgraded from 98 to XP. Will that be a problem? I also have the recovery cd that came with the computer originally. I am obviously not very computer literate, but realize that I need to erase the hard drive in the event the computer gets passed on to others. I would love a step by step process from erasing to reinstallation if that is not to much to ask. Thank you for the help.

RW

RW,

If you have a recovery CD or an XP CD and can boot from the CD. Then it should be ok to wipe the drive and reinstall.

1. insert blank floppy.
2. do Start->Programs->Eraser->Create nuke disk
3. follow instructions to create disk.
4. reboot.
5. follow on-screen instructions again to wipe.
6. insert boot CD
7. Reboot again and start installing.

Garrett

I would like to do the same thing.
After the nuke has done its job is it not the case that all the devices need to be reinstalled? In order to boot from the CD in the drive the manufacturer's support pages say I need to change the order of the system boot devices. How do I boot from the CD in order to install the devices?

IF YOU RAN INTO THAT NEED

1 RESTART THE PC START TO TOGGLE F8
2 F8 TAKES YOU TO BIOS SETTINGS
THERE YOU CAN SET UP WHAT DEVICES TH PC SEARCHES TO BOOT FROM

SET THE FIRST DEVICE TO CD ROM AND YOUR SET
INSTALL CLEAN OS FROM THE START
WHEN GIVEN A SCREEN TO SELECT YOUR FILE METHOD YOU CAN
SET FAT OR NTFS, VIEW AND ADJUST WHETHER YOU WANT
PARTITIONS. . . . BLAH BLAH BLAH

WHEN ALL IS DONE OS ALWAYS DOES A QUICK RESTART WELL INTO INSTALLATION THEN EVENTUALLY ENDS AND PRESENTS YOU WITH WITH THE START PAGE OF WINDOWS ,,, PLEASE REMEMBER 2 THINGS
1 REMOVE THE OS CD ROM
2 RESTART YOUR PC , USE F8 AGAIN, SET YOUR BOIS BACK TO THE CORRECT DRIVE ORDER
0 IS FISRT DRIVE
1 IS SECONDARY
AND SO ON
MAKE HARD DRIVE THE FIRST
I USE CD SECOND
AND A:/ DRIVE LAST

HOPE THIS HELPS
JOE WWW.cpuSYOURWAY.COM

Anonymous said:
IF YOU NEED TO CHANGE THE BOOT DEVICE TO US THE CD ROM !

1 RESTART THE PC START TO TOGGLE F8
2 F8 TAKES YOU TO BIOS SETTINGS
THERE YOU CAN SET UP WHAT DEVICES TH PC SEARCHES TO BOOT FROM

SET THE FIRST DEVICE TO CD ROM AND YOUR SET
INSTALL CLEAN OS FROM THE START
WHEN GIVEN A SCREEN TO SELECT YOUR FILE METHOD YOU CAN
SET FAT OR NTFS, VIEW AND ADJUST WHETHER YOU WANT
PARTITIONS. . . . BLAH BLAH BLAH

WHEN ALL IS DONE OS ALWAYS DOES A QUICK RESTART WELL INTO INSTALLATION THEN EVENTUALLY ENDS AND PRESENTS YOU WITH WITH THE START PAGE OF WINDOWS ,,, PLEASE REMEMBER 2 THINGS
1 REMOVE THE OS CD ROM
2 RESTART YOUR PC , USE F8 AGAIN, SET YOUR BOIS BACK TO THE CORRECT DRIVE ORDER
0 IS FISRT DRIVE
1 IS SECONDARY
AND SO ON
MAKE HARD DRIVE THE FIRST
I USE CD SECOND
AND A:/ DRIVE LAST

HOPE THIS HELPS
JOE WWW.cpuSYOURWAY.COM

bugaw23 said:
I am selling my old computer and want to erase the hard drive. I have read previous posts but still have questions. Can someone give me a step by step process? My biggest concern is how to install the XP operating system on again once I erase it. Will I be able to use my DVD Drive or CD-R Drive? Will I need to repartition my computer once I use this eraser software and reformat it?. If so how di I do that? If I won't be able to use the CD rom drive to put windows XP back on, how do I make a start up disk. Also I upgraded from 98 to XP. Will that be a problem? I also have the recovery cd that came with the computer originally. I am obviously not very computer literate, but realize that I need to erase the hard drive in the event the computer gets passed on to others. I would love a step by step process from erasing to reinstallation if that is not to much to ask. Thank you for the help.

RW

Back