Erasing Cluster tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hezel

What does the "cluster tips" option in Eraser exactly do? I tried to google but couldn't find the answer there. It is very slow, I tried to do a task overnight, when i woke up it didn't even finish cleaning cluster tips on drive C (20 gb). Is that normal?

Other question: Is erasing the hdd bad for its health? Because it is very intensive and so..

Thanks in advance!

Hi Hezel

What does the "cluster tips" option in Eraser exactly do?

Cluster tips is also know as file slack.

Here is a useful page explaining it.

http://www.forensics-intl.com/def6.html

It is very slow, I tried to do a task overnight, when i woke up it didn't even finish cleaning cluster tips on drive C (20 gb). Is that normal?

Can you just check to see what eraser method you are using ? A quicker and still very secure method would be the single random pass. I suspect you have yours set to Guttmanns.

Other question: Is erasing the hdd bad for its health? Because it is very intensive and so..

Only because you are using the disk, a good disk will be ok but a bad disk may fail. This is not due to Eraser but it is simply because you are using the disk more. Defragging a bad disk will make it fail so you could think of it in those terms.

Overwriter said:
Hi Hezel

What does the "cluster tips" option in Eraser exactly do?

Cluster tips is also know as file slack.

Here is a useful page explaining it.

http://www.forensics-intl.com/def6.html

It is very slow, I tried to do a task overnight, when i woke up it didn't even finish cleaning cluster tips on drive C (20 gb). Is that normal?

Can you just check to see what eraser method you are using ? A quicker and still very secure method would be the single random pass. I suspect you have yours set to Guttmanns.

Only because you are using the disk, a good disk will be ok but a bad disk may fail. This is not due to Eraser but it is simply because you are using the disk more. Defragging a bad disk will make it fail so you could think of it in those terms.

Thanks for the link!

I ran just the 3 passes, when i woke up it was still running it's first pass.

Hi

I ran just the 3 passes, when i woke up it was still running it's first pass.

Mmmm.. That does seem a long time.

Try selecting the single random pass and disable any unnecessary processes you might have running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back