Erasing Firefox and Internet Explorer browser history.

Crusher

Hello,

I've just migrated from Evidence Eliminator to Eraser after EE failed to work following windows service pack 3 install. Now I can't fathom how to delete the browser history of both Firefox and Internet Explorer. For Firefox I found the cache folders and erased them but couldn't find any 'new cache' folders and my browsing history was still present for the last 5 days. I looked at the help files but found them confusing. For Internet Explorer I don't understand at all how to erase the browsing history. Could someone please tell me in 'simple' layman's terms how to do it please. Many thanks.

I'm at work at the moment and no access to a windows machine, paths are from memory so caveat emptor.

For IE you need to delete the contents of:
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

any index.dat files may need to be set up to be deleted after reboot.

For firefox along with the cache folder contents you need to delete the history.dat
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\<random filename>\

Hey jackjack,

Thanks for the reply.

I think I have it now. You were correct about the IE files and now I do as you suggest and erase them from reboot :). In firefox I just locate the cache folders (usually more than one) and erase them. However, the current history is not erased and I can't seem to locate a 'new cache' folder :?: .

EDIT:I found it. Just erased all history files.

You were spot on jackjack, thanks.

So to clarify,

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{large number}\Microsoft\Outlook Express (address found in OE maintenance tab)

For IE I set the scheduler in Eraser, locate the temp folder and that's it !

Crusher said:
So to clarify,
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

No, that is a bad idea, it will blow out your whole firefox profile. Just the following should suffice:

Firefox (ff 2.x)
file: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<xxxxxx.default>\cookies.txt
file: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<xxxxxx.default>\downloads.rdf
file: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<xxxxxx.default>\history.dat
folder: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<xxxxxx.default>\Cache\

Internet Explorer (IE 6):
folder: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\
folder: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Cookies\
folder: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\History\
file: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Cookies\index.dat (this has to be done scheduled on reboot)

Hey jackjack,

Thanks for correcting me. Actually what I wrote was a bit.......wrong !! I didn't mean I actually deleted the folder (I'm not that silly :wink: ) , I just went to that folder and then deleted the cache files. However, I was doing it all wrong anyway - :oops: . I was using the search command instead of the run command !!! Now when I use your 'destinations' I can see everything I need to delete.

One query though if you don't mind, what is the <xxxxxx.default>\cookies.txt command ? I.E. what replaces the 'x's' ?

BTW, thanks for the great advice I can see all my 'stuff' now.

Assuming you dont have multiple Firefox profiles xxxxxx.default, where xxxxx is some random characters, should be the only directory in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\. If you have more than one directory in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ just check them all and added any cookies.txt that you find to your schedule list.

Thanks jackjack, I've got it now.

Funny thing is, I got EE working (Kaspersky problem) so I ran it. Then I looked in the locations for any tracks and still found some ! Not good is it !?

Back