Erasing index.dat at statup

AA

Hi, how do I erase index.dat at start up. I've tried to schedule a new task at start up but it doesn't give me the option, do I just schedule erase unused disk space?

Does anybody know if it is OK to erase unused disk space in safe mode, would this erase index.dat files.

index.dat files are a tad tricky. Depending upon which version of Windows you use, some are operating-system protected, and some aren't. Just your luck, some of those that are protected contain sensitive information about your activities.

There are really two options when it comes to erasing index.dat files. In Windows XP, you can run Internet Explorer first; this seems to "unlock" the protection, making subsequent erasing possible. Another is to run the erasing on startup (from your startup folder, perhaps) or on shutdown (I do this using logoff/shutdown scripts in XP Pro).

Since you're specifically asking about running the erase task at startup, I'd suggest making a Windows script file (essentially, a DOS batch file) and putting a link to it in your startup folder.

And I'd go with Index.Dat Suite - it accomplishes the same thing plus does a lot more, but it has to be run and then the computer re-started to clear found index.dat's. Pete

spy1 said:
And I'd go with Index.Dat Suite - it accomplishes the same thing plus does a lot more, but it has to be run and then the computer re-started to clear found index.dat's. Pete
I agree, if you folow the setup instructions, the dangerous index.dat files are all in red and are unchecked and wont be deleted and the scan is pretty fast. I have 9 .dat files in my Opera v8.54 browser (global.dat; cookies4.dat; vlink.dat). I can't use IDS on them, so I create tasks with Eraser scheduler (they regenerate on restart of the browser).

spy1 said:

I like Index.Dat Suite, but I generally prefer to do all my tracks cleaning during shutdown, so I use shutdown scripts to (among other things) Erase my Index.dat files. Pretty much amounts to the same thing.

You can do it via Eraser. Just create a new Scheduled task point it at the index.dat and set it to wipe every Reboot.

You'll need to create a task for each index.dat that you want to wipe

Successful ways to erase index.dat

I have found a way to successfully erase index.dat files.

Concerning Index.dat Suite, I have it and use it to locate index files, but my batch file never seems to work. In the Command prompt it outputs Access is denied or something similar about files I consider to be very important to erase in order to cover tracks.

A cool script I have found is here: http://www.markusjansson.net/eienbid.html
If you follow all the intructions to run as a logoff script it works great, deleting essential folders containing index.dat files and also temporary IE files, cookies and history files. (specifically C:\Docume~1\<current user>\Locals~1\History, C:\...\<current user>\Locals~1\Tempor~1, and C:\...\<current user>\Cookies)
I have it set to run at every logoff and have noticed that my machine runs like new after I log on again. (i.e. it starts slightly slower than normal, but once it is started it works extremely well!!)

A cool utility for locked files in general is this: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
It does not require a reboot to delete index.dat's and does it right then and there!! (although I would recommend rebooting as to not cause troubles in windows) The only issue I have noticed with this method is that sometimes this index deletion results in a BSOD (IKES!!!!) on startup. I am not very sure why it does this, but I suspect that it results when a reboot is not immediately done after index deletion, giving the OS time to incorrectly construct index files, or maybe I am deleting unneccessary index's. The Temporary IE files and history folder cannot be accessed from Windows (cause of CLSID and UICLSID registry entries), but the exp.cmd script mentioned at http://www.markusjansson.net/eienbid.html takes care of those files.

METHOD THAT I USE: I restart my computer with exp.cmd enabled to delete some index's. After this I run index.dat suite and create a .bat file to delete index's that it can delete, and reboot. Next I run the index scan in index.dat suite to find files it could not get, and manually delete them with Unlocker. Reboot. Finally I use some sort of free space file shredder to delete the remains of the files [As far as I'm concerned, it's a neat trick to know how to delete index's, but I never use it, and would only recommend it if it is absolutely neccessary.]

HOPE THIS HELPED!!! :wink:

WOOOOOOOPS!!! :oops:
I forgot the whole point of my last article!! The file shredder I would use would be ERASER. I have searched for freeware almost everywhere and have not been able to find a better program!! Thanks, to the developers of ERASER and those who maintain it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Re: Successful ways to erase index.dat

M said:
I have found a way to successfully erase index.dat files.

Concerning Index.dat Suite, I have it and use it to locate index files, but my batch file never seems to work. In the Command prompt it outputs Access is denied or something similar about files I consider to be very important to erase in order to cover tracks.
Funny my batch file works. I may be wrong (because I haven't used Index.Dat suite very long) but when you get the command prompt type dialog box saying access denied IDS is trying to delete the index.dat without replacing it first, so it copys the index.dat not the data and then deletes the index.dat and replaces it with the copy it just made. I like Eraser because it is 5x as fast as East-Tec Eraser 2006. 8)

The bottom line is: there are several ways to get rid of Index.dat files; some are automatic (my preference, used on every shutdown) and some are manual (running Index.dat Suite, which I've also run and find informative). So you have options. Try them and see what works best for you.

I previously said:
In the Command prompt it outputs Access is denied...
It actually said the file is being used by another process. Also I am using XP Pro which might have something to do with the index's not being deleted. I have to log on before the batch file runs. Any explanation is appreciated!!

M said:
I previously said:
In the Command prompt it outputs Access is denied...
It actually said the file is being used by another process. Also I am using XP Pro which might have something to do with the index's not being deleted. I have to log on before the batch file runs. Any explanation is appreciated!!
It is being used by another process...your computer. But it can be deleted before you boot-up. IDS does this via batch file. I have it set to search in all Hard Drives (I have 2 HDs) 1. Click run 2.Put a check mark next to tht index.dat I want deleted( all the check boxes are marked by default,except one. The one for PCHEALTH, if you did the set-up (the set-up is a one time thing) it should be all in red. This one is unchecked, the reason is AFAIK 1.The one inPCHEATH doesn't regenerate, the other ones do regenerate.2. It seems to mirror all the other index.dats(when you delete all the other index.dats the one in PCHEATH will be emty) 3., click generate batch file(That black and blue thing-its the 2 squaire from the Left). Then follow screenprompts and restart your computer. when the computer restarts you get a command prompt(you will not see any Desktop icons) click it. The computer should start loading.

Back