Error: eraser 6.7.0.1893.exe not valid win 32

dummy101

I am now using a new custom-built Windows 7, 64 bit machine. I want to use Eraser to destroy my data files on my previous, 6 year-old machine: Windows XP (32 bit) with SP 1, 2 & 3 installed. So I downloaded Eraser to my new machine and burned a copy of that file to a CD–RW. Then I started- up my old machine and copied the Eraser install-file from the CD to the old hard drive. When I then double-clicked on that file on the old machine to install Eraser there, I received the following error message:

Eraser 6.0.7 .1893.exp is not a valid Win32 application

So what am I doing wrong or do I need a different install-file for Eraser?

PS: also found that a PDF attachment was not allowed. What type of files are OK?

You may have a corrupt install file; see this thread. Try re-downloading direct to your old machine, and installing there.

If that doesn't work, you can take the drive out of the old machine, put it in a USB caddy connected to your new machine, and use Eraser on it there. You may need to run Eraser as Administrator because of issues with permissions; the best option, if you can do this, is to quick format the drive and then use Eraser to wipe the free space.

If your old machine is a laptop, or a desktop with a recovery disk or partition, you could also restore it to factory condition (which will include a disk format), and then install and use Eraser.

Hope these ideas help.

David

Back