Error message

Eusebius

Its great that there is now this forum!

Sometimes Eraser tries ten times to erase the file name (after erasing the file itself), then reports "failed to clean directory entries from driveC. Gave up after several attempts." Why does this happen? This happens usually with files that I have downloaded from KaZaa. When I erase the file, the file and Kazaa and everything else are closed. Does the failure occur because the folder to which KaZaa downloads its files is in two places: the original folder in the Kazaa directory, and a copy of it in My Documents?

I hope you can help--Im not too experienced with computers.

Hi,
This sounds like a file locking problem or corruption.

1. run scandisk
2. reboot.
3. try again.

Let me know if that works.

Kind regards

Garrett

Thanks for your reply.

If by "running scandisk" you mean the quick scan, that has already been run (for example, following a computer crash) several times. But Eraser still does not erase certain file names.

If you mean the thorough scan, I shall try it in a few days when I have some time--it takes forever, and sometimes it hangs.... But I will give it a try.

I simply cannot get the "thorough" scandisk to work...it chugs away for three hours, then starts all over again with some message about starting ten times. I use ctrl.+alt.+del. to shut off all programs, but the scandisk still hangs.

Anyway, I know this hasnt much to do with Eraser, except that Garrett suggested I run scandisk, and Im annoyed that I cant or dont know how to.

Since I assume Eraser is getting rid of the files themselves, I dont suppose it matters very much if it cant get at the file names for whatever reason. In other words, I can live with the problem.

quote:Originally posted by Eusebius
I simply cannot get the "thorough" scandisk to work...it chugs away for three hours, then starts all over again with some message about starting ten times. I use ctrl.+alt.+del. to shut off all programs, but the scandisk still hangs.

It could be that the operating system itself is writing to the disk, and causing these problems.
quote:
Since I assume Eraser is getting rid of the files themselves, I dont suppose it matters very much if it cant get at the file names for whatever reason.

If you dont get an error saying the file couldnt be erased, its quite safe to assume it was erased.

I finally got the scandisk to work by using a program called "End it all," with which one can shut down running applications Ive never heard of. However, even after the scan Eraser still has trouble with some--but not all (as I said in the original post)--file names.

Thanks very much for comments thus far.

Eraser gives me the same error sometimes (not erasing file names despite several tries). Always did, no matter the version.
Garrett was right that running scandisk could handle it. Actually, for awhile it was doing it TOO much, so I ran scandisk before even trying to use Eraser at all!
I am posting here to let you know its not ust on your machine. [:)]

Back