Error Message

majax

Hello,

This is my first time ever using Eraser. I'm using version 6.0.8.2273. I manually created a task to wipe free space on my external HD (approximately 350 GB worth). Eraser is still in the process of running at the moment. The progress bar is slowly continuing to fill up with that lovely shade of green. Additionally, there is a folder on my external HD that is consistently getting larger. Thus, I believe that Eraser is working properly.

My issue is that, when viewing the Task Log, the last message I see is:

Session: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 1:36:47 PM

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 1:38:01 PM Error Files in J:\System Volume Information did not have its cluster tips erased because of the following error: Access to the path 'J:\System Volume Information' is denied.

I have the severity set to fatal and lower. Shouldn't there be any logged information after that? I'm assuming that this was the last file Eraser was collecting information on.

If you are new to Eraser, I do recommend reading the sticky FAQ topic entitled 'Getting to know Eraser 6'.

The 'error' message isn't really an error at all, but a result of normal Windows system protection policies, which have been designed by Microsoft to be (nearly) unbreakable by users. The fact that cluster tips are not erased in a protected system area is not likely to present serious security issues to an ordinary user.

Future versions of Eraser will, I hope, be rather less free with error messages, which will make life a bit easier all round.

David

Thanks for the information. After a few hours of doing 1 pass it shows that the task was completed with errors, obviously that one error. I understand it now.

Very cool to see it fill up the HD with files and then delete them.

You can also look at the log of a task while it is running, and see the errrors as soon as they appear.

David

Back