Error reading from file changelog.txt

monsieurouxx

I am a technologist in a helpdesk. My company uses Eraser - File Shredder.
A customer called me :
- he installed the official version supported by my company (version erasersetup584x32.exe)
- when he tries to run the program, he gets the error message :
  • popup title bar : "Eraser"
    Message Header : "Error"
    Message body : "Error reading from file : D:\DOCUME~1\MARC~1.SCH\LOCALS~1\Temp\mia1\OFFLINE\58EBA19C\74C06391\changelog.txt. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it."

Indeed, the customer sent me a screenshot of his directory structure, and there is no folder "OFFLINE" in D:\Documents and Settings\marc.sch*****\Local Settings\Temp\mia1

- The customer uninstalled and reinstalled the software, but then he had the same error.

...Should I try to remove all "Eraser File Shredder" entries from the registry to make sure that the software doesn't look for that file in that place?

Note : I performed a AND search on the words "Error reading from file" but there was no topic in relation with my issue. I also performed a search on "changelog.txt", but almost all topics contain thiese words :)

Thanks

OK, looks like nobody knows the answer. Could the gurus of the forum at least say if this error happened before, if it is a known bug?

monsieurouxx said:
OK, looks like nobody knows the answer. Could the gurus of the forum at least say if this error happened before, if it is a known bug?
Do you know what program this changelog.text is for. If this changelog.txt for a important program, the changelog.text could be read only. On the other hand it could belong to a program that no longer exists and the error message you are getting could be caused by leftover files from that program that no longer exists and Eraser is reading those files. The file could also be files in the registry. I would also serch there too. It is up to you or the customer to play Detective.

[quote="Carver Do you know what program this changelog.text is for?[/quote]

!!!

I thought this was the log file of Eraser Shredder Tool !
By the way, it's changelog.txt

no, Eraser doesn't use such a file.

Joel

Back